Thursday, December 22, 2011

My Oma: Part II - Entry of the Theotokos into the Temple


The Theotokos, when she was three years old after the flesh, was led to the Lord; and Zacharias, the priest of God, received her in the temple with rejoicing and established her there.


*


My Oma was taken to heaven on the morning of the


feast of the entrance of the Theotokos into the Temple.


I had a ride to an old calendar church


that day


after sitting outside my parent's door as I knew


that a phone call at 7 in the morning meant


that my Oma had died.


When I was in the car riding to church


I realized that my Oma had been taken


on this feast day of the


Mother of God.


I told the priest about my Oma's death


before the service


and he commented about the Mother of God


taking my Oma home


and how he has seen icons of this feast


where it looks almost like the


Theotokos


at three years old


is skipping up the steps of the temple.


I found this incredibly comforting;


that the Mother of God had taken my Oma


on her feast day,


a day of entrances.



It must of been hard for St. Joachim and Anna to


let there child go.


But how wonderful that the Mother of God


came to the temple;


that she was prepared to bear Christ


the Saviour of the world.



I had never really noticed this feast in such a deep


way as the day my Oma died


and the Mother of God took her...


*


Today the living Temple of the holy glory of Christ our God,


she who alone among women is pure and blessed,


is offered in the temple of the Law,


that she may make her dwelling in the sanctuary.


Joachim and Anna rejoice with her in spirit,


and choirs of virgins sing to the Lord,


chanting psalms and honouring His Mother.


*


Some years back, when I was a couple months


from becoming at catachumen


I was at my Oma's for Christmas;


I think she turned 95 that year.


And late that night I remember thinking


very strongly of my Oma as a Mother


and the Mother of God.


Now I realize how much the Mother of God was present


in my life and especially during that time;


my Oma bore and raised 8 children;


Somehow I know that my Oma is close to


the Mother of God...



Anna, the all-blessed cried out rejoicing:

'O Zacharias, take her whom the prophets of God

proclaimed in the Spirit, and

lead her into the holy temple,

there to be brought up in reverence,

that she may become the divine Throne of the

Master of all,

His Palace, His resting place,

and His dwelling filled with light.
*

My Oma died on this feast and

was buried on the feast's leave-taking.

*

May the Mother of God always protect my

Oma Grace...


(all quotes in italics are from

The Festal Menaion for this feast)

No comments: