Wednesday, September 04, 2019

(Day 9) without Cleo: buffet finished, falafel and fire trucks

The page below (which I recommend reading!)
is from the introduction by Glady's Tabor's daughter
who assisted in the publication and wrote the introduction to the book
Still Cove Journal by her Mother, 
published after Glady's (and later her cat Amber) died. 


When I read the introduction, I felt waves of sadness about my dear 
Cleo Cat dying and being gone.  
Later this afternoon the feeling was quite deep
 and it's not an easy emotion to have; each day the grief is wound
up in a different way, like strands of thread slowly being discovered,
each a distinct colour, some vivid, some indistinct. 
I can tell I am going to love reading Gladys Tabor and am so so glad
for authors who clearly have provided comfort for others.
I also have Glady's book on her cat Amber, though I have not read it yet.
I bought it this summer, before I knew my Cleo Cat was dying.
I did not know that this book was one of Glady's last.
I can see how God is dropping pebbles in the beach that I am walking
unexpectedly, with the loss of my Cleo Cat. 
The comfort she had given me over the years was so much,
the loss of her is going to take some time.
And I remember telling my Mom on Monday, when I was still in tears actually,
that at the beginning of this summer I had no idea that at the end of the summer,
I would lose my Cleo Cat.
My Mom's sentiment, that it is often best not to know in advance these things,
is haunting me a bit more than normal... 
I guess because I know my Mom has lived long enough to really experience this.
***
I am slowly reading Mother Alexandra's book, that she wrote when she was still 
I Live Again which is, so far, the story of her life before she came to the States
and how the war and her exile from Romania, the country she loved with all her heart,
was like her dying before she died.  
She had to learn to live again and keep living even though her heart was left behind,
in Romania.  It's quite powerful and poignant of a read. 


Tea and a vegan Russian cookie :)


While one one but myself can really tell,
I rearranged some of my pantry. 
If you are newer to my blog, this pantry is a 4x5 closet that my friend N,
when she saw it unused and cluttered when we were doing the house
inspection before buying it, said it would make a great pantry
and I immediately dreamed of wooden shelves in it,
which my father-in-law made come true... 
It's kind of like my own little grocery store, I realize...
And I also realize that I am going to have to start baking again soon
for Christmas and I am so glad I have a good start on the supplies I will need
for this baking! :)  Tomorrow I hope to make the St Phanourios bread for
this Sunday's meal...for our 7th wedding anniversary and Slava
(the meal for one's family's Patron Saint)... 


A card my Mom found at a thrift store, cute eh? :)






I got some pretty German dishes on display on the new buffet... am really pleased 
with this set up! And my Husband loves these dishes, which we picked out 
together at the VNA rummage sale a few years ago... 



Firefighters came suddenly while we were waiting for our falafel to be made...
at least 5 fire trucks! The first picture is of one of the fire fighters with a chain saw
opening up the roof...smoke was coming out of it!
Such dangerous work! God bless the fire fighters!!! 



My Husband (we prayed first!) successfully put the drawer back! 
So now the buffets are all set and if one is not looking closely,
I think they would think that it is one big piece instead of two...
I am glad it's two pieces though, I think for later, 
someday, when we DV move from our condo,
it will be nice to have them small and easier to place in a new 
home, one that we have no idea of now other than the idea of 
something after this one. 
(We have no plans on moving at present, just a vague notion of not 
retiring one day where we now live).


Sorry for the blurry picture above!
I was talking with my Mom on the phone the other day and
refilling our soap dispensers and did not realize that I put 
liquid hand soap in the liquid dish soap dispenser...
today I fixed that...luckily the Dutch Delft hand soap dispenser
was needing a refill and I poured it all out and refilled the 
one on top (in this picture, which is plastic and therefore lightweight
when empty and dripping out the last bits) with liquid dish soap.
I thought it was a funny mistake to make... :)
***
Oh, I forgot if I mentioned that our friend told me,
whose land we buried Cleo on, in a lovely garden,
that her grave is fine, he checks it every day.
Such a comfort... 
***
Well, tomorrow I hope to bake the bread I mentioned 
and do laundry and begin preparing for the Slava / Wedding Anniversary 
meal! I got the groceries for it today
and have a list of all that I need to do! 
One of the things I did at the library yesterday was make these lists... 
***
I was sent this beautiful music today


It's worth a listen.
***
It is so good to stay in today and be with God.
I can't say I am good at doing this yet
but it really is the only way.
***
God bless each of you...

4 comments:

Granny Marigold said...

The dishes with the wide yellow border are so very lovely!!
Gladys Taber's books are so down-to-earth and comforting. Have you read Another Path? She wrote that one after her dear friend with whom she lived at Stillmeadow died.

Elizabethd said...

Your beffet looks very elegant Elizabeth.
I think I am suffering from 'pantry -envy'! What a lovely huge space to have to store things in. Does anything ever get lost?!

Paula said...

It's so hard to lose our fur babies, especially suddenly. I'm very glad you had somewhere nice to leave Cleo. Colin buries our pets under his big oak tree.

I love the 'new' dishes.

Lisa said...

Yes, you will like Gladys Taber's books! :) Enjoy, Elizabeth. She was a real human being, if that makes sense.