Monday, September 09, 2019

(Day 14) without Cleo: our 7th wedding anniversary with a trip to the Cloisters in NYC

















It was a wonderful day!
Our 7th wedding anniversary!
I put away the cleaned dishes and silver-plate silverware,
made tea, we had cheesecake for breakfast and 
St Phanourios bread!
Our favourite dinner for brunch
and then on to the Cloister's Museum for the afternoon!
I had never been there, it was so beautiful.
I already want to go back...
I took SO MANY pictures!
Actually, I am thinking, if I have the time, of showing 
just a few pictures at a time... it's such a beautiful place...
and the sense of quiet, of deep beauty and of reverence was 
very much present and wonderful... 
Then we had a picnic in the nearby park and enjoyed that...
we packed up a little earlier than we may have because rain drops
started falling slowly, sporadically... it did rain for a bit when we were driving 
but the rain was gone by the time we got back home!
(We drove there and back via George Washington Bridge).
My Husband surprised with with the beautiful Byzantine Art book that 
you see pictured above, he found it at the VNA rummage sale!
It's such a lovely gift! 
We finished the last of the St Phanourios bread tonight
and moved his icon back to our chapel wall of icons in our 
chapel/library/guestroom. 
It was such a perfect day.
My Husband described our picnic dinner as 'cozy' and it was. 
Mr Husband and I, we love cozy... 
***
Tomorrow I will be home, DV will clean up the last of the Slava dinner 
things (just a few roasting pans is all), put away the tables,
work on a book review, and other such things...
***
I got a lovely card in the mail today about Cleo. 
I still get excited, thinking I will open a door and see her.
It's 2 weeks today that she is gone. 
My new white fluffy/furry pillow helps to a point
(it's a real comfort but obviously it can't bring Cleo back).
I guess I feel like it was like she was just gone on a short vacation,
the fact that Cleo is really gone, well, even though I held her dear
Cleo Cat body after she died, and shrouded her in my favourite
old towel and buried her with Psalms and a Poem, with sunflower and 
roses, still, it's hard to believe that she is really gone. 
I don't think the expecting to see her is full denial as much as
a huge change in life-patterns of 13 years.
But sometimes, I think I am in a bit of denial; the it's hard to 
really think she is gone and not coming back.
Yes, I am one who believes God can do all things,
and save me is a huge one and bring Cleo back or have her already
in a Garden in Paradise, well, I don't think that is too hard for God to do;
it's something I don't worry about explaining or having a definitive 
theological position on; I just agree with Abbot Tryphon when he said
it would seem that Heaven would be a bit bleak without his 
Hammi cat that he wrote about on FB. 
***
No matter what loss, change or challenge you are facing,
I pray it will be with Christ as your Right-Hand, the One 
who is upholding you through it...


6 comments:

Lisa said...

I went to the Cloisters once, I think in 1980. The only thing I remember is the gift shop - I think they may have been working on the place and we weren't able to see much of it. I would like to go back.

Granny Marigold said...

The Byzantine Art book is a treasure. How lovely that your husband found it and kept it for this special anniversary.
( I made your lemon crinkle cookies today and they are so good).

elizabeth said...

If you ever do, Lisa, please let me know, I would love to meet you! ♡

elizabeth said...

Granny Marigold, oh that is wonderful, that you made the cookies!!! Yes, very special of my Husband!

Lisa said...

Oh, I suppose it's easy for you to go there, isn't it? I hadn't thought of that. I will certainly let you know if we ever go there!

elizabeth said...

Lisa, well, I don't drive highways but from what I understand it is doable from where I live by public transit in about 1.5 hours and that would be well worth it esp if I got to meet you as well :)