Tuesday, September 03, 2019

(Day 8) without Cleo: a trip to NYC and adventures with 2 buffet drawers...




I made it into NYC!
To answer Granny-Marigold's question: 
I take the PATH train into NYC.
To go to my library I go to the World Trade Centre, then take the Fulton Street 
train (4 or 5) (train as in subway) to 86th street (the 5 express is fast!) and then to breakfast...
The PATH train, Wikipedia explains is: "Port Authority Trans-Hudson is a 13.8-mile rapid transit system connecting [...] northeastern New Jersey cities [...] with Lower and Midtown Manhattan in New York City." 
So anyone who lives in Northern/Northeastern NJ, which includes Mr Husband and myself, 
can take the PATH train in. 
I can be in Manhattan in less than 20 minutes! 
Of course NYC is big.  So when I went last week to Brighton Beach,
that was at least 1 hour trip one way... first to World Trade, then to a subway to take us to 
Brighton Beach (which is in Brooklyn, which I think was the first time I've been in 
Brooklyn actually...) even people who live in Princeton can take a NJ Transit train
to NYC and be there in about 1 hour... this area is very much set up for commuting into NYC. 
My Husband used to live near to Princeton (he even had a lovely house in a 
town fairly nearby but when he switched jobs years ago now and began
working in NYC, the commute by bus (bus = you get a seat and can sit!)
was 2 hours one way. So he moved just months before we got married so 
that the commute would not be so grueling. 
But lots of people do that sort of commuting. 


I read this book quickly, 
some of it was very shocking 
(remember, if you did know to begin with, I grew up in a traditional 
Christian home, with Christian school and Church
and am still a traditional (only perhaps more so!) Christian today...)
so some of the things in this book (the clients of the therapist who 
is writing the book) are quite shocking to me on both
a personal and moral basis.... 
there were a lot of insights in the book... I would only recommend to one that
will not be bothered by bad language and crazy life-decisions/happenings 
that are discussed.  I was glad I read it overall, however. 




 My "office" and "closet" in the library
(it's actually first come first serve) and I am grateful for it. 


Also glad they have Tolkien! 


Got this today! Should be some fun listening! 




Coffee shop near the library closed :(



Lunch, grilled chicken with rice and beans. 


Cool vintage stuff... 


Interesting quotation (above...)





That Mr Softie, I sure am succumbing to his ice cream :) 


Thought that sign was cute. 


You know it's September when you see Pumpkin everything :)


A glass of lemonade before going home...






Got photos done all in one day, pretty immediately... 








Some real adventures with our new buffet and the older (identical) buffet...
basically we put the drawer in the old one incorrectly so that the 
roller was outside of the slider where the two rollers are supposed to be,
to make the drawer easily open and close. 
Mr Husband got the second (new) buffet drawer in right.
WHEW.
Then, later, after family prayers, I managed to get the VERY stuck drawer
in the (identical but not new) buffet OUT after asking God for help...
Thank God! 
We hope to put it back in, correctly, tomorrow! 
then we will at least have 2 working drawers!
***
Well, it was really good to be in NYC. 
I also got stuff from Trader Joes today!
***
God bless each of you and help us all! 

4 comments:

karen said...

I love NYC and would love to be able to take a one hour commute in (assuming I could sit for most of it...). We live about 2.5 hours away and once took a charter bus in for the day. That was not comfortable at all and made for a long day. It's easier for us to drive in and stay in a hotel and enjoy the city and have some much needed down time with a room of our own.

Nancy said...

The photos of Cleo are precious!

Granny Marigold said...

Thanks for explaining about the PATH train which I think must be a great convenience for you.
I think I won't be reading the Gottlieb book. I know myself well enough to know I'd have a hard time with some of the things you mention.
Nice that you and your husband got the drawer issue figured out. The little Cleo display on top is so sweet.
I've been looking at the fasting recipes and already saw some I want to make. Tomorrow it will be the Orange and Cranberry bread ( I have exactly ONE orange left in the fridge>)

E Helena E said...

The angel makes me teary....I'm so glad you have discovered (or rediscovered?) Gladys Taber. Her books are wonderful and soothing. I had forgotten about her cat, Amber. I used to read her "Butternut Wisdom" column in the Family Circle magazine when I was a kid. The only remaining book I have now is "The Stillmeadow Road". Wish I still had her cookbook to give you....I think you would especially enjoy it and actually use it!