Saturday, May 18, 2019

So I do not forget...

I was talking with my Sister-in-law's Mother today,
who has been married over 50 years... 
what she would give as advice for marriage...
she said the following... (I am paraphrasing a bit)
you have to roll with the punches,
things come that are unexpected and you have to accept
them and adapt to them/deal with them...
and that you are not in control... that things will happen
in life, with kids, with family, that you could not predict or control 
[such as illness or tragedy] ... I commented to her that my Oma
always said 'take it as it comes' and she agreed and said 
one cannot plan for the future/worry about the 'what ifs' and that worrying
does not help... that we want to plan, we want to know but it won't help
and there is often only so much one can plan and that 
one has to take it as it comes... 
***
I found this to be really helpful and, already in my experience,
I can see how true this is.

7 comments:

Granny Marigold said...

Wise words from a wise lady.

shoreacres said...

That's good advice for everyone, married or not.

Nancy said...

Good advice from smart women.

Lisa Richards said...

Amen! Realizing how little control we actually have helps to relieve some stress in life. At least for me! Worrying really doesn't help or change anything. I'm trying to give it up, lol.

The Liberty Belle said...

Words of wisdom.

Paula said...

That is really good advice. Especially for a farmer's wife. Right now I don't know what's going on even hour to hour. This cropping season is so stressful. We have a bright and sunny day today, but Colin doesn't know yet if any of the fields are dry enough to work. We had 6mm of rain overnight, so...

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

Very wise words and advice, although it's often a struggle to put them into practice, I know.