Wednesday, May 01, 2019

Bright Wednesday Dinner with Rice lentil and ground lamb dish


I doubled everything other than the water which was 4.5 cups.
Due to a mishap (see below) I used 2 cans of (cooked) lentils.



















The dinner party was so incredibly peaceful!!! 
I can't tell you how perfect it was, a real gift. 
Small and lovely.
Reminds me of this music that I suddenly have in my head...


As I wrote earlier: 

The dinner with lamb rice lentil dish went great! (4.5 cups water was perfect!). 
Here's some pictures. The dishes were my Grandma's, 
the 2 trays (3 tiered) my Dad made for me, 
many of the other serving pieces were found at the VNA rummage sale, 
the tablecloth I think is from my Husband's Grandmother via my Mother-in-law,
 the candle sticks from my beloved Ottawa parish, 
the vase from a kind family here in NJ before we were married...

BTW, had a near disaster when cooking tonight's dish.
 I was cooking the lentils in 2 pots on the stove 
(I was used to cooking 1 cup of lentils and thought it may be easier) 
and I was talking to my friend who came early to help me prepare the meal
 and I BURNT one of the pans of lentils. 
I was then so flustered that I thew the WRONG pan of lentils in the toilet 
(the other one is quite burnt, like it is going to take some work to get the pan clean). So my beloved valiant Husband saved the day by going to the Bodega 
(corner store) down the street and buying 2 cans of already cooked lentils.
 (I had used up the last of my dried lentils that I ruined!) 
Whew. The rice/lentil/ground lamb dish came out wonderfully! 
4.5 cups of water for doubling it was just perfect! 
I have such a good Husband, eh?!!!!  I love him!!! 

***

That's all I have time to report on today,
other than some prayer requests for myself, if you don't mind.
I have my first (2 hour long) eye test tomorrow in NYC.
Second, I saw a foot doctor today.
Remember, if you knew me and my blog 2 years ago,
that I broke my ankle and was laid up all summer?
Well, the doctor did not like the bruising that has been there ever 
since, for 2 years. I have to have an MRI to make sure it is not a sign of trouble.
So that was a bit overwhelming, I think esp because that summer was
incredibly difficult for us.  
The good thing is that this doctor (new to me) who I saw today seems
to be exceptional on all levels. 

Last year's Bright Week was emotionally difficult as we buried my beloved
+Aunt Karen on Bright Monday.

This year, so far, Bright Week has been more restorative and gracious and I 
am so very grateful for this, as I know life will always have 
hard times and when we have even a few good days, 
I treasure them knowing that while they are few, 
they are like gold being stored up to give one the
strength to endure whatever is next.
And that God will be there with us, 
no matter what that 'next' will be.

The former unbloggable struggle was so hard and for a few years 
and looking back I can see how very difficult it was.
It makes these days of peace and beauty all the more precious. 

May God help us and have mercy! 

4 comments:

Tracy said...

Hope all goes well for your with your appointment today, Elizabeth...And hoping your foot worries about become big worries after all. Praying for you! Oh, but that lamb, lentil and rice dish sounds sooo good! Hooray for husbands who save the day. ;) God Bless you, my friend! ((HUGS))

Elizabethd said...

I love lamb, any dish is great, but have not tried one with lentils. Well done to your dear husband!
Lovely to have a peaceful week that you can enjoy.

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

You always set a very lovely table. I'm so glad to read that dinner was peaceful, and delicious. Hooray for canned lentils! All prayers for you and your husband. I hope all went well/is going well with today's eye test. And also for an accurate diagnosis of the ankle bruising. Gosh, I can't believe it was two years ago already that you had that fall!

Granny Marigold said...

Your dinner party was an obvious success in spite of the lentil mishap.
Yes, your husband sure did save the day. ( I hope you can get that burnt saucepan cleaned up).
May the appointments at both the eye doctor and the other one ( re: your ankle) go well.