Wednesday, March 13, 2019

First Wednesday of Lent





Well, I think finally today we got some of the rest we were needing!
My Husband tried the new vegan yogurt that I got
(it has very little sugar, a huge win compared to most of them)... 
he found it had little taste so I am thinking it would be good for
smoothies with lots of other stuff added to it.... 
I fried up onion (added garlic at the end since it burns easily when minced) 
in coconut oil... 
and added clams (drained, from a can) 
then added all of that to just cooked pasta... it was pretty good over all!




And we went out and had mussels!
This is the Thai version... it's a Thai curry with coconut milk and I think
lots of the softened shreds of Kaffir lime leaves + green curry...
to some this would be a bit spicy but I find that coconut curry to be a 
warm comforting broth... the mussels were pretty good! 
It was a nice meal to share for Lent and not as pricey as some things 
which is nice too!
My Husband and I enjoy various ethic foods as well
as American fare! :)
I did not get a good picture of that fork in the picture above,
but it's a tiny fork, perfect for getting the mussels out of the shell that they 
are cooked in! It was really nice to have with the bread! 
Then we went to church for part 3 of the Canon of St Andrew of Crete... 
I love the prayers below...




I am not good at always paying full attention but even though I fail at that big time, 
though following along does help, in this case anyway,
I sensed something that made me look up...
the way our local priest was praying right to Jesus' Mother
(who we call the Theotokos which is Greek for God-bearer/birth-giver
Theo = God tokos = bearer/birth-giver ... which we find 
terribly important as if the the Mother of Jesus only gave 
birth to a son named Jesus who was only human and not divine, not 
the incarnate Son of God, then we are pretty much sunk)... 
anyway... I sensed our priest praying before I saw him
praying so simply right to her
(by praying my Husband said the other day to myself and others
that the English language is limited when it comes to trying to give
words for asking the Saints for their prayers to Christ 
and that praying in Greek has different words and in English only one)...
anyway, our priest was talking right to her, reading this prayer
that I posted below, it was so beautiful,
seeing him stand in front of her icon, 
him humbly below...



It really is a lovely prayer, 
and if one reads it one will see how clearly that the Mother of God
is praying to her Son, her and our Lord Jesus Christ, for us... 


Then was read a prayer to Christ and so our local priest
moved to the other side of the iconostasis (this is a Greek word for icon screen)
 to Christ...and prayed to Him... 



This is the prayer...



This prayer is part of the end of Compline, which is the before-bed prayers,
esp. the one above :) 



I had a bowl of oatmeal with raisins and honey after church
and found my copy of L'Engle's Troubling a Star 
and read the first pages... 
And that was today and I am so thankful.
I pray you had something to be thankful for today
and that God is carrying you through whatever it is that is difficult... 
***
P.S.: I liked this letter of Fr John K from God Give You Wisdom!



"We have only to sincerely desire to follow Christ"...
I pray that this is so for myself and for you, dear readers who God loves 
and cares for so much! 

6 comments:

Tracy said...

YUM... such fun to see what you've been eating this first week of Lent, Elizabeth! LOVE mussels...mmm... Good food, good prayers, a good start to Lent! :) God Bless you on this Lenten journey, my friend ((HUGS))

Elizabethd said...

A lovely and interesting post, particularly the prayer excerpts.

karen said...

I cannot believe it's Lent already - where does the time go? Love your foods and your descriptions - I found a vegan yogurt by stony farm?? but it's filled with sugar...

elizabeth said...

Tracy, thanks! yes, a blessed start of lent with this food! Thank you so much for your words of love!!!

Elizabethd - I am so glad you enjoyed it!!! I was hoping someone would!!! the prayers are so deep and beautiful, I can never do justice to them!!!

Karen, I know, so quickly! Yeah, a lot of the vegan yogurts have way to much sugar in them :( ... blessed Lent to you!

Lisa said...

When I come across letters from the past, written by saintly people, they are always timeless, peaceful and hopeful. I am thinking of Padre Pio and St. Francis de Sales, as well as this book you have here. These people are so helpful throughout the ages well after they're gone from this life.

elizabeth said...

Lisa ~ yes~ so much so!!! well after they are gone, what a blessing! and of course the Saints/saintly people can pray for us!!!