Monday, January 09, 2017

2nd &y 3rd day of Christmas









On the 2nd day of Christmas,
we had one chocolate treat each, opened gifts
and decided that we would have special reading times for
part of the 12 days of Christmas this year,
where we would just take time to companionably read together. 


I began reading the first story from 
Elizabeth Goudge's 
Icon on the Wall and it was wonderful.
She knew a surprising amount about Orthodoxy and
it's a lovely short story (the first one in the book).









The second part of the 3rd day of Christmas was hard 
but had blessings too, in small things.
I thought that Mr Husband sounded much too congested when he coughs,
so over breakfast we were companionably having,
I called the nurse. Then he talked to a doctor and had an appointment made
for that day.  So Mr Husband ended up in NYC for much of the day,
and is now on more meds and will find out more on Friday.
So that was all quite worrying.
The lovely parts of today were getting the silver plated silverware I ordered
a week ago, the picture has additional silver-plate flatware that we had from a rummage sale previously...I ordered the additional silverware before we got the flu, 
for what I hope will be my belated
birthday party.... in just under 2 weeks time... we will see about that...
other lovely parts were loving a new to me tea - Trader Joes chocolate mint 
flavoured tea; it was lovely...
and I had my favourite beef sandwhich from a local bistro delivered,
which I savoured over lunch and dinner...   
I also enjoyed 2 small Trader Joes hot chocolate cookies,
had decaf Christmas Chai and enjoyed using the Christmas Tree Spode China,
now that I have enough energy to hand-wash dishes again.... and tonight 
Mr Husband and I watched part of a Walton's episode! 
And tonight I finished
Elizabeth Goudge's short story 
The Ikon on the wall
such a good story and encouraging to me personally...
and I also was remembering these prayers,
which when I am all a flutter are about all I can focus on,
and these prayers brought this day to a peaceful close:

"“My dear,” he said, “love, your God, is a trinity. There are three necessary prayers and they have three words each. They are these, 
'Lord have mercy. 
Thee I adore. 
Into Thy hands.' 
Not difficult to remember. If in times of distress you hold to these you will do well.""
 ~From Elizabeth Goudge's the Scent of Water 

5 comments:

Elizabeth @ The Garden Window said...

I am so glad you have The Ikon On The Wall too :-)

Your photos are so lovely!

Prayers for a speedy return to full health for you and dear Mr Husband.

Juliana said...

Hope you are feeling better today (and Mr Husband too). There are some nasty viruses running around right now. Your photos are lovely as always! I keep meaning to post more of ours; I'll get to it sooner or later.

Jennifer Hays said...

I hope you're both feeling better now. Your holiday celebration looks so lovely. I've always loved Spode Christmas china and wished to have some, it's nice to see yours in use. :)

GretchenJoanna said...

I hadn't heard of that Goudge story, but Janet at the blog The Three Prayers named her blog for those three. Thanks for a lovely post in spite of your illness. I hope you are feeling still better by the time you read this. God bless!

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

That little prayer from The Scent of Water is one I pray a lot too. And I was enchanted with your little stack of Christmas books on the table and it warmed my heart to see the Corrie Ten Boom and the one just underneath it by Thyra Ferre Bjorn which is one of my personal favorites and I have a copy just like it. I am glad you are able to enjoy the little things like delicious teas and good books while you recuperate.