Friday, May 17, 2013

Fia Sauce in NJ


One of my favourite dishes to make in
Ottawa was Fia Sauce.
I made it at least twice with an additional meat sauce
added into it for
Pascha dinners on Bright Friday.

I managed to make it last night.

Added the spices needed,
including fresh Basil.
Slow cookers can be great for meal prep.!

I used to use the
No-Name Italian Plum tomatoes.
I could not find that here
so used the above tomatoes.
Well,
It was OK
but I was really looking for
Italian Plum tomatoes in Tomato juice,
not pureed tomato sauce with tomatoes.
So it was a different sauce this time.

Well we had a small three person lunch today.

The sauce,
plus fried mushrooms and a spaghetti pasta
I put in my soup tureen to make it simple.
It was pretty good but I've made better.
*
I hope to make lasagna with the rest of the sauce,
or most of it.
*
The sauce also freezes well.

I had some bread out with
vegan margarine.
 
And a simple green salad.
*
We were not sure exactly when the guest could make it
so it was nice to have everything ready and covered
while we waited.
*
It is a challenge to know what to make for a quick
over lunch visit that is on a Fasting Friday.
*
What are your quick fasting lunches that you make?
I would love some suggestions!
*
Well,
I am going to try to finish up the first baby blanket
I made a while ago...
*
I have to keep counseling myself to be patient with my
building a new life here in NJ.
The dinners I had in Ottawa took time to organize
and I know with the way it is for Mr. Husband and I
with where we live and me having mono
have meant that I can't be out
trying to meet people all the time.
*
A good friend told me once that it takes at least 3 years
to build a new community where one moves to.
It's been 8 months now
(here I thought it was only 7 months!)
but things got a bit derailed with me getting mono in
month 5.
*
And so it goes.
I am grateful for Mr. Husband and that I have
the opportunity to build a life with him.
*
What are you thankful for today?

2 comments:

Martha said...

I'm thankful for the weekend which is almost upon us...and the time we will spend together as a family. ♥ Your sauce sounds wonderful, although it may not have been exactly what you intended. Such lovely black and white bread! I'm happy to see cloth napkins on your beautiful table!!!

Anonymous said...

What cookbook is this from?