Wednesday, November 04, 2009

I've been thinking...

I read a lot of blogs...

including a ton of book-based blogs,

which help me stay current in the school/public library scene.

I also read various artists blogs;

every day I can see beautiful photographs,

chronicling life, often in idealist happy tones.

I have RSS feeds for Canadian Papers on books, movies, music,

so I can slowly become conversant with various people,

including librarians.

And of course I read a lot of blogs that are Orthodox,

and my blog community of readers are often tied in here;

and I love reading Mom-blogs, and Orthodox Mom-blogs;

a lot of my friends are Mothers

and I learn a lot about what the struggles of Motherhood are,

as well as the joys.

This helps me understand and talk to my friends who are newly Mothers.

Of course I am from the Midwest of the States;

I have had at least three distinct phases of friends marrying

and becoming Mothers.

The phase of new Mothers now are the ones who are a bit

younger than I but who went through higher education

and had children in their later twenties or early thirties.

Anyway.
I love blogs.
I love reading about other's lives and struggles.
That I can support and be supported in prayer through the blog world
is a real gift.
What has really struck me though is how different the book and artist blogs are
if the writer is not a Christian.
It is so strange and sad for me to read what they see
as their ideal life, especially the blissful Sundays to sleep in,
make the wonderful breakfast, take walks.
All great things.
But no liturgy? No community to pray in?
No understanding that we need to learn to be watchful
waiting for Christ to return
while learning to live in Christ's presence now.
No monasteries to go to, or call when one needs help
or a loved one is very ill.
No instructions to learn to love others more than yourself
no repentance
no learning to love God
no hope in the midst of heavy despair.
One of the great and heartening things I find in the Church
is how it meets our every state,
prayers of Thanksgiving
and
prayers such as Fr. Lawrence's Akathist,
How much I wish that those blogs I read
the artists, the book lovers, the librarians, the lovely mothers
could know these things.

6 comments:

Pres. Kathy said...

I really enjoy reading your blog. As Orthodox Christians, we can be an example through our blogs and teach people about Orthodoxy.

Elizabeth @ The Garden Window said...

I know what you mean about the non-Christian blogs.
I cannot imagine how empty my life would be without my Faith and my Church Family......
It certainly would be different.

Michelle M. said...

I can relate to your thoughts very well. I have a hard time even imaging life without my faith. And I am so thankful for the wonderful community of Orthodox bloggers. They are truly my friends now.

Lauren S. said...

Before I became Orthodox, I was an evangelical Christian, and often caught myself longing for a more secular, unholy, selfish life, but at the same time realized how wrong that was and feeling quite guilty about it. Now that I'm united to the Church I can't imagine not having it and I don't want free Sundays and all those other "perks". Nice post. God bless you and your moving adventure! :)

elizabeth said...

Thank you Pres. Kathy, I am honoured.

Yes, Elizabeth... I would feel empty too...

Michelle...yes, I agree; it is wonderful to have such a good group of freinds who are Orthodox; I too feel I have many friends (you included) through our blog world. What a blessing.

Hi Lauren, Yes, it really is a temptation to not go to liturgy sometimes etc; I found this even more when I was Prodestant; now I know a bit more of my great need for the church and it propels me to go more... thank you for your good wishes!

Sarah in Indiana said...

I know this feeling too well--I'm struck by it in the blog world, but also with my family and friends. I pray for them, and try to be ready to talk when when they're ready to listen.