Wednesday, July 08, 2020

Little Things




I made a fish curry yesterday... 
we deemed it 'fine but not fabulous' 
as in not like our favourite restaurant... 
but a nice meal nonetheless...
***
Our local pool is said to be opening (with lots of
social distancing measures) on Friday! 
Adult swim M-F 7AM-9AM.  
We will see.
It would be a big deal if it works....
but I also remember how tiring it is to swim in cold water 
(the pool needs time to warm up once water is put in...)
***
This pandemic is so strange in the ways it is being
communicated and the ways people are taking it;
what a gamut of responses and a lot of struggles.
I find it confusing as I have people
I love living in many places
and they all have different responses;
when and where to wear a mask; what is safe or not; etc. 
It's draining.
***
The Apostle's fast ends this Sunday
and I hope to make this torte
It's so good, my Husband started mentioning it last week already!
It will be so nice with some good French Vanilla ice cream!!!
***
Life is full of irony, even simple ones.
Like we finally did half or so of our library reorganization and
then had to put most of our pantry in that room.
so I can't get to any of those books.
(I have some I am reading out but you understand what I mean...!)
And here I was all motivated to read more from our library...
We had the AC man and he did fix something 
(a wire I think that was keeping a fan from working) but 
he also suggested we get an HVAC team to clean our AC unit
as it will run better when clean, makes sense.
So we are doing that, they come DV tomorrow...
Then everything will have to be put back...that's the good
but challenging part...can I put things back in a way that is
at least somewhat better than it was before...
I am really good at space-related things and how to fit
a lot into a smallish space...
I am really hoping nothing else happens to make the 
AC act up as I would have to empty the pantry AGAIN...
***
This morning, after another broken sleep,
(I wonder how many right now actually sleep well!),
I was using out kitchen sink and realized the water was not draining well.
Another simple thing, but a bit on the 'ewwwww gross side' of things,
as the metal filter over the open drain was filled.  Yuck.  It's slowly getting clean,
but our sink was awful.  I guess after that mostly unbloggable but traumatic incident I had,
I forgot to check the sink...it's a large one basin sink 
(I would actually prefer a shallower sink and 2 basins) and I put
2 dish tubs in it, the first upside down, the second upright on top of it.
Otherwise my back hurts with the need to constantly bend down to get the
dishes in the very deep sink.... so I can't see the drain under the two dish tubs, 
which is what causes me to forget, sometimes, about cleaning the sink,
since a good part of it I can't see.
Well, baking soda is such a wonderful thing, it cleans better
than my "fancy" cleaners in spray bottles... 
it cleaned the sink up so well and so quickly!
The drain needed a clean too and baking soda and vinegar 
set in there for 15 minutes and then hot water poured down after
really did the trick! 
***
While I did stash some tea, chocolate :) and crackers before
I emptied the pantry, I have so many things out of order;
teas on my dining room table; honey and golden syrup 
(needing a gentle clean), on my island + a million other things, 
everything seems extra cluttered and disorganized.
It really throws me off, I can't function as well in this 
environment... and I know it's not just a need to
'focus on other thoughts' in this case... 
***
I really like summer overall but everything, of course,
is different this year... it's an effort to keep thankfulness at 
the forefront of my mind...
May God help us!

4 comments:

Lisa Richards said...

Yes, we are getting lots of conflicting opinions on the virus thing. Glad you got your AC fixed! And getting to swim again would be great! Take care! :)

Granny Marigold said...

It's so hard living in confusion. I'm not surprised that you find it difficult. I hope the AC will not be a problem again for a very long time.
Please post pics of your torte once it's made. I like to see what you make.

Becki said...

You hit the nail on the head (for me) when you called it draining. Some people (in my circles) are angry because they perceive (or honestly recognize) a political aspect to how the virus is being handled. I, personally, am mostly simply feeling weary of the social distancing, and I seriously dislike wearing a mask, but I don't feel angry about any of it. I can get frustrated at conflicting information, but then I turn the noise off and just let common sense guide me and can get back to an even keel. That's today. We'll see what tomorrow looks like. ;^)

Gloria said...

Hello Elizabeth, Yes this has been a very unusual summer, and the constant conflicting information is burdensome. I hope your AC is doing ok now as I know how uncomfortably hot and humid it can get back in your part of the country this time of year. Hopefully, having taken everything out of your pantry is giving you a chance to do some "spring cleaning" and reorganizing. That's usually therapeutic and rewarding once it's done. Unfortunately, it can be exhausting as well. Take care!