Sunday, July 12, 2020

A Sunday that I Don't Take For Granted

























Our priest's sermon was very much about the Lord's love
and how in this time of suffering when church was not an option,
we learned even more how much we love church.
That we must not take it for granted.
While I don't ever want to even think of doing this,
I sure did in terms of thinking it normal and wonderful to have friends over
and to all go to church together etc. 
I remember the first time I went back to church after the lockdown we had from March-May,
how I felt like weeping... how overwhelmed I was to actually be in church,
it was just so very wonderful... 
***
After church we ate a little something (I had granola with milk)
while the leftover lamb rolls I had made heated up in the toaster oven; 
a fitting first meat after our month long Apostle's fast! 
Then I had a lot to do to get ready for my friend coming.
The table for tea was pretty much set but I had to set the main table,
put the pasta sauce to heat in the crock pot, 
fill the water in the large pot for the pasta to cook in later on,
make the egg salad 
(this was huge success: 2 spoons of whole grain mustard, enough mayo to make it creamy
with 4 boiled, peeled and chopped eggs),
set out the crackers and cookies and chocolate, slice the cheese slices for 
the brioche toasts (a Trader Joe's favourite!)... 
and I cleaned the hall bathroom! And I did a small load of dishes... 
put on a little bit of make up... found music to listen to...
my Husband watched another Shakespeare performance online while
my friend Photini and I had a wonderful tea time talking about everything that
we women needed to talk about without others listening... 
it was really nice! 
***
And not something I am going to take for granted... 
It's been a hard time for us all, 
with each of us having our own "extra burden" because of the 
pandemic... each in our own way, given our different situations... 
I am already thinking things like,
how can I make this better/easier to bear if we go in lockdown again?
Is there things I can do to stay more connected to people that I would
normally see in person? 
I don't dwell on this, but I do think about it.
I know I will feel a lot of sadness about a possible
Thanksgiving and Christmas without church or without friends coming over.
We will see what happens... 
***
We must keep trusting God in all things...
and that He will help us and never forsake us... 
Lord have mercy on us! 

8 comments:

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

What a blessing you are to your husband and your guests. Your home is always so cozy and welcoming. I really enjoy seeing your table settings and the food you serve. It's nice that the Theotokos is watching over your tea table! I went back to church today for the first time in four months! It was so wonderful to be there again.

Elizabethd said...

You must have so enjoyed your time with your friend.

Pilgrim said...

Susan Branch’s latest post shows she is knee-deep in Christmas, in the middle of July. I’ve been a fan of her happy art and recipes for awhile, sending used copies of her books to my mother, who really appreciated them. I think getting oriented toward the reality of Christmas now is a big aid to mental health. It’s good practice for when Christmas rolls around on the calendar. We’ll have been there all along, and it’s deep meaning has been a blessing.

Gretchen Joanna said...

Happy Feast, Elizabeth!!

Granny Marigold said...

I believe you Sunday with church and Photini's visit was a lovely day.
Planning ahead in case there is another round of Covid just makes sense.

Diana said...

I'm sure praying we do not have another lockdown! I love the sunshine streaming in through your churches windows and covering everything and everyone in His glory! What a blessing your friend's visit must have been for you! And you are such a blessing to Mr. Husband and those who enter your home... always so much love and comfort they find with you there. Blessings and prayers to you, my friend!

Becki said...

Part of me can't imagine going back into lock down (though we've never really come out of it because of dh's knee surgery, and now his recovery). It seems like life now is a series of calculated risks in regards to the coronavirus and we are beginning to learn to live with it in our midst. I guess I imagine that we will all continue in that vein - taking precautions, but trying to live with some amount of normalcy because our mental health and the country's economic and social health are going to require it on some level. Then again, winter weather will make it easier to social distance, so there's that. I've found myself questioning so many times during this virus how we are to live as Christians during times like this. And lately have been wondering how I can better use online options for staying connected with people. Or maybe there are other options I haven't even tapped into???

Martha said...

The church + candles...so beautiful. It's a blessing and gift from the Holy Spirit to have a heartening sermon. Is that Caesar salad? And wine. Always nice to celebrate a feast with a special meal! Of course your plum torte...wow, with ice cream! It looks scrumptious.