Wednesday, July 22, 2020

Feeling happy but rather like happy on a marooned island





 

What a strange time we are all in our lives and in our world...
NJ and where we are in NJ is doing well with very low virus cases... 
my eye doctor is concerned because local colleges in NJ and NYC
are allowing students to return from all over the States and he is worried that some
positive virus cases will slip through undetected... 
***
My Husband and I are trying to get all our medical routine things 
(dentist, physical etc) done soon ... we are going into NYC to do so
but by car...  and with some cab rides once in the city...
I am actually really excited; I did not realize fully how much I love
NYC until it was taken from me; I mean I knew I really enjoyed it
but once I could not go, and NYC was so besieged, my heart was 
broken on many levels and I still don't know what is going to be like
returning; are the restaurants I love still there?
I saw various ones in the town next door
had been shuddered and empty with 'retail space available' signs... 
***
So today was pretty happy...
I got to go out to get my eyes checked, did a little bit of shopping...
things that I did as-a-matter-of-fact or "normally" pre-Dread Virus.
It was a relief just to do this...
***
But yet I feel like we are surrounded by the troubles;
so much south of us is having serious virus spikes; 
it feels like I am safe but marooned on an island...
that calm of the storm but still knowing the storm is 
on-going... 
***
Well, lots to keep trusting God about...
***
Some happy things I shared earlier on social media...

1st and biggest: I went to my optometrist today and my vision has been fairly stable this year! I did not need a stronger prescription! If you have followed my eye saga, you will realize that this is a HUGE deal because the more my eye worsens (esp the right eye), the more chance of further retina damage. So I am so thankful for that! It is rare that this is the case for me!

2. I am also thankful that we got to go to the town next door where our eye doctor is (and where we first lived after we got married) as we went to the German Bakery (well not inside, but he did a tent sort of thing so he can do orders and then go back in the bakery and get what you want) and we have 2 slices of cheesecake waiting for us from the bakery!

3. I also got some more face/makeup supplies while in town... we are trying to stock up/get things done now, while NJ is doing fairly well in terms of the Dread Virus, as I call it.

4. We watched two Walton episodes tonight (2 because it was storming (we watched on an unplugged laptop) and, because of the storm, we could not do our evening walk).

5. We went swimming this morning! (it was crowded but OK) and wonderful to get this exercise in...

It's not an easy time for any of us... talking with my eye doctor had me realize how much impact it has had on almost all business... 
***
May God have mercy on us all!

4 comments:

Granny Marigold said...

Your eye doctor has good reason to be wary of students coming in from all over possibly bringing along the dreaded virus.
On a more positive note...I'm so glad your eyes have not gotten worse and that's a great blessing.

Lisa said...

Wonderful news about your eye, Elizabeth! Praise God. :)

Gretchen Joanna said...

I'm surprised that a pool is open for swimming, but so happy for you about this one huge thing. And praising God about your eyes!!!

Martha said...

Our oldest daughter has decided not to go to college this fall. She hopes to resume in January.