Tuesday, July 28, 2020

Simple Days and Meals







In the midst of all the hard of the world at present,
I find our days to quiet and simple;
thank God we were able to go to our local church this weekend. 
We are enjoying fruit and such things.
My Husband surprised me and did dishes for me last night and emptied the
dishwasher this morning.
And he put in the two dish tubs that he knew needed to be washed,
as I had mentioned this the other day....
***
I find that everyone has some form of grief because of the Dread Virus
and we are not exempt.
But we work through it and keep trying to go forward,
even when our hearts feel deep pain. 
Yet in the midst of all of this, 
we know how blessed we are,
being at home, enjoying summer fruits and foods. 



I am enjoying re-reading the DE Stevenson book 
on Mrs Tim, which I had begun and was a long way through
when I had all those eye troubles and the book fell to the wayside...
So I am beginning at the beginning and enjoying the humour of the book
but also quite relieved that I never had to be in such situations as her,
with so many people and challenges of being in such a world.
***
I remember, when reading this, as well as the book I just finished,
Q's Legacy by Helene Hanaff, that I savour my quiet life very much.
***
I still remember when my professor, when I was in my nearly mid-20s,
described me as a quiet person,
as I was the most talkative in my parent's home but I soon realized what
he meant and yes, I love to have a quiet drama-free life. 
***
My Husband and myself are both relieved that we are not noticed in crowds
and that we can have our quiet life together.
When I remember this, even in times that are hard,
I can remember that God can help me be content... 
***
I discovered some of my Grandma's bars in our freezer and
we are enjoying them... 
she turned 90 this week and she made these when she was 88
and she is an inspiration and blessing to me always...


 These were 2 (!) I had today...
the first one, a cookie base with chocolate and butterscotch chips
was really lovely! Perfect blend of batter that was not over-sweet
and the chips! The other was a cookie/cake base with shredded coconut
and then a melted chocolate top... also very enjoyable...
with hot tea and a bit of milk in the tea! 
***
I find by looking for what is a blessing in my day,
I can find a thankful heart that makes all the difference...
May God help us all in whatever we are facing...

5 comments:

Gloria said...

By enjoying all the little and simple things in life we make the big things in life better as well. It's a lesson many people never really learn.

Diana said...

I love your beautiful skyline photo! I assume that's New Jersey? The buildings look absolutely golden! // Mmmm, all your lovely little treats and goodies. I don't know that something so good as those bars your grandma made would have stayed that long in my freezer haha! I;m sure Jerry would have found them. ;) // You sound much calmer today. I've been praying for you to find some peace in all of this. It's hard, yep, it's really hard on everyone right now. I wish I could give you a big hug in person. Just remember to let God shine on you and through you! Blessings to you and the Mr.!

Becki said...

I feel us being pulled into something more akin to our normal lives, but circumstances make us think twice still before jumping in with both feet. I think I may weary more of this pull (and feeling the need, even if just internally, to justify resisting it) more than I may weary of this virus among us. I'm happy enough to find opportunities for ministry. To socialize right now feels overwhelming (to me). Hubs is more the socialite than me. If he were writing this, he might say just the opposite of me. :^/

Granny Marigold said...

Your grandmother's bars look very delicious and make me want to bake something.
As I'm sure I've said many times, I like baking but not cooking. Simple meals are the best.

Lisa said...

Oh, don't tempt me with cookies, please! :) Those look good!