Saturday, August 01, 2020

How Do I Know?












One thing I feel like I don't know how to answer is the simple question
'how are you?'...
what does one say when living similar to the earlier lockdown but going to church
and shopping sometimes? 
Each day is different and some are easier than others...
***
So instead I will write about some things I was able to do...
My Husband rearranged the library, something he had been wanting to do for 
years and last Wednesday he did so.
And I fixed some old dust jackets...and some not that old! 
I have a special book tape that is acid free and very good for repairing 
old book dust jackets/pages. 
***
And I managed to take out 2 big boxes from the pantry that will be moved to the
garage so that we have a little bit of 'wiggle room' for things like saltines or chips
or such things.... my pantry is basically prepared for a fall-winter that may 
need to be depended on for some months of not going to stores or for shortages. 
***
I swam 4 times this week...
I don't know if the current hurricane isaias 
will impact us as more than a lot of rain... so not sure about
swimming this week and I changed my grocery delivery to Monday
to be sure I am able to get my milk and bread for the week! 
(And also our fresh greens!)....
***
I have a list of groceries to remember to get and also 
a list for Trader Joes.... for later in August or September... 
We are still monitoring the virus to see if it is possible for 
family visits to happen... 
***
VERY sadly, a young friend of mine (early 20s) lost her very
young father (later 40s) this week unexpectedly to a heart attack...
So that's really hard...
***
I may work on a simple pillow next week on my sewing machine...
***
My Husband and I had been talking about upgrading our toaster oven...
we've liked the one we've had for 8 years... 
it was a wedding gift that we had put on our registry...
But we love using the toaster oven exclusively in the summer months
as the heat imput is much less... and I found one that
will bake a whole 13 inch pizza + fit a 9x13 pan 
and has good reviews and many options... 
it went down in price and my Husband said I could buy it...
so it's our anniversary gift to each other... 
it has 2 racks so I could bake a whole cake or a large chicken
or a nice big loaf of bread... 
I am really quite grateful... 
***
We've been taking long walks (about 4K+ steps) in the evening 
and with the swimming I am doing, I am getting a lot of exercise...
But I find by Saturday I am quite tired...
so again today, a lot of resting 
(and making lunch, doing some dishes, laundry folding)
is being done...
***
I am really glad for the books I have in my library
and I am thinking about the books I want to get from the library in NYC
that I belong to... 
***
We were able to go to vespers tonight and I saw a friend after vespers for
a quick dinner... so that was a blessing... 
***
May God help us and have mercy on us! 

2 comments:

Diana said...

Your library is AMAZING! How I would love to go through all those titles and see what's there. I had a small toaster oven decades ago, back when they were so small they could only hold a couple slices of bread to make 2 pieces of toast lol. Can't find them in stores around here anymore. I just use my electric fry skillet, or my two pans on the stove, or the microwave, depending on what I'm making. It's finally less humid here -- we had rain last week and the temps are down 10-20 degrees now! So much better and actually refreshing to be outside now! Prayers and blessings to you and the Mr., dear friend!

Becki said...

So fun to see your beautiful library, Elizabeth! It looks cozy and inviting. You ask a good question for these times. How am I? I'm thankful to know at my core I am okay - because of God's grace, but there are days and moments when I feel the sadness of this time we're in - due to COVID and civil unrest in some parts of the country. But then I remember the old hymn that tells me "this world is not my home", and scriptures that support that, and I'm suddenly a bit freer in my mind about so much I cannot control. It's an exercise I find myself repeating a few times a week, it seems.