Saturday, August 08, 2020

Simple reflections on the Meaning of Life + dreaming of baking bread
















I read these verses last night and they seemed to suddenly sum up
in a very simple but very real way,
the meaning of life...
Here's the verses:

Romans 14:6-9

6 He who observes the day, observes it to the Lord; 
and he who does not observe the day, to the Lord he does not observe it. 
He who eats, eats to the Lord, for he gives God thanks; 
and he who does not eat, to the Lord he does not eat, and gives God thanks.

7 For none of us lives to himself, and no one dies to himself.

8 For if we live, we live to the Lord; and if we die, we die to the Lord. 
Therefore, whether we live or die, we are the Lord's.

9  For to this end Christ died and rose and lived again, 
that He might be Lord of both the dead and the living.

**** 
I loved how simple it is and about how our life is to be spent towards the Lord
and that if it is, then we are the Lord's and that
Christ came to be our Lord,
of both us who are still alive and those who have already died. 
***
In other news, I splurged today on a bread pan with lid,
a pullman loaf pan to be exact, that I have been wanting/thinking about
for months.   This is the one I got.  I admit it is costly 
(with tax it was nearly 40$)
but it was the only place I could find it at present. 
And now, just hours after I bought it, it's not available at all!
It should come in September, I knew it would be that long when I bought it.
So I hope that works out.  (As in is delivered when it says and comes safely.)
 I've been wishing for one for a while
and I love this brand (USA PAN).
***
I found this recipe that I think will be the first one I try
as it seems simple and straight forward.... 
and this recipe is one to keep in mind and I am sure that I have
a recipe also in my vintage green William Sonoma bread book... 
which I think is the first place I read about this bread and 
the pan it bakes in... 
***
I don't know about others, but I, and my Husband,
are both very aware of the possible spike in the virus as 
summer slips into fall...
NJ is still doing well.... but...
I feel like I am preparing for possible months of not going to stores again
and depending mainly on my grocery delivery service. 
We are doing shopping lists for what we think we may need,
and I am thinking a lot about baking bread.
I think it, in part, helps me deal with an unknown future.
As in will we have lockdown again and if yes, when? 
OR will the dread virus get bad enough in NJ that we are going
to want to avoid stores OR will the dread virus come back to NJ
in a way that will lead everyone to panic buying AGAIN ????
***
Also, one of my happy places/stress diverters was planning
teas/lunches/dinners for others to come to and that has 
largely been destroyed because of the dread virus
so baking bread is a good substitute... 
***
This coming week is going to be busy; or rather;
Thursday is going to be extra busy;
this is the day we are going into NYC.
I am working on lists of what I hope to do...we will be going
back again later in August DV so I have time, I hope,
to do the shopping I hope to do... safely of course... 
***
Well, so much to think about but now, to bed, to bed!
We are DV going to our far-away church tomorrow so it is 
an earlier to rise day...
***
May God bless us, uphold us, save us and have mercy poured out on us! 

5 comments:

Pilgrim said...

My mother enjoyed books by D.E. Stevenson. I wonder if I should order some. I have been reading through her collection of books by Dora Saint. They are very comforting, in a time of both pandemic and mourning.

Elizabethd said...

We too are feeling that there may be a spike in the virus, especially here in the West country, as we have been beseiged by tourists.

Diana said...

I love Rose of Sharon (your second photo)! We had purple and white plants at a previous home. They aure are pretty when they're full of blooms. // We've had a huge increase in cases here in Kansas since June, and the case count continues to increase very day . . . the panic buying has already begun here as everyone has heard this is going to be a long, hard winter. It's difficult to know what to think when the state and local government say one thing on one day and then the opposite on another day. We just try to leave it in God's hands and let Him deal with it as is His will. We can't live our lives in fear. Keeping all of you up there in prayer, dear friend!

Lisa said...

Sunflowers growing on a city street? And what is that green, round thing, Elizabeth?

Granny Marigold said...

Here it is now the end of the day. I hope your Sunday was a pleasant and blessed one. It sounds like you have a busy week ahead. Take good care!