Monday, April 27, 2020

Monday Brightness: Searching for Light on a Grey Day

























Today I began in earnest,
well, this afternoon at least, 
in reading Supper of the Lamb by Capon;
I am finding it enjoyable and refreshing.
***
I found chicken soup in the freezer!
I used the rest of Trader Joes Limone Alfredo Sauce
that I found in the freezer with some chicken also 
found in the freezer... (we have one in the garage
and are trying to use things up as we can)... 
I am realizing how a little chicken, especially in a Pasta,
can go along way.... 
***
I wrote the following earlier on Capon's book,
I want to share my thoughts here as well...
I loved how Capon's book reminded me to pay attention 
and see the wonders that God has put before us. 
That Capon talks much of food makes me relate to it very well, 
as I love cooking and baking. 
His reminder for us to live with attention and thanksgiving
 was a great thing to read.....
Also, about Capon's book, it reminds me of An Everlasting Meal 
which I am going to have to look at again as well. 
Capon's book, of course, pre-dates this one by a few decades. 
***
Interesting to read Capon's book as it also talks about the idea
of cooking with excellence but, though I don't know if Capon fully likes the word,
economy.  I think that he can go far, from what I have read so far,
in both using everything you have and also seeing that
you can use what you have and still make something taste delicious. 
***
Already I am hearing of possible shortages due to food chain problems
because of the dread virus, as we call it.
I am thinking that the lessons that I am guessing are in the rest of 
Capon's book + a book like Everlasting Meal can teach us more about 
how to make our food good, delicious, still nutritious all while not wasting food
or needing to stretch what we do have.
Really good lessons to have and to think about.
***
We must seek to not live in fear
(and some of my biggest fears are about food scarcity) 
but seek to be proactive about things, as we are able.
I guess figuring out ways to use less of what we have, 
at least when it comes to meat,
and still making good meals is what I have in mind...
***
Well, I am thankful for a good day.
Not that it was a fully easy day, but that it was still good.
***
I am waiting to hear about a friend's son who fell ill 
and who is a grocery store worker in Canada. 
There is so much and so many to pray for.
***
Oh! have to mention:
I made Marion Cunningham's Rescue Biscuits 
(from her cookbook lost recipes and substituted oat milk
for milk and used an egg powder substitute... 
and it worked perfectly!
I did not need them to be vegan for the soup dinner we had
but wanted to know if it would work and we had oatmilk to be used up.
So I am going to try other breads as well and see what happens...
a week after Pentecost (thank God still weeks away) is the Apostle's fast
and we fast 2x a week other than after big feasts, etc, so 
it's handy to know what I can do vegan in terms of baking! :) 
***
Well, it's getting late so I better finish this post.
***
May God have mercy on us all!

1 comment:

GretchenJoanna said...

Capon is ever cheering! I still go back and reread posts I wrote about that book, it was so thought-provoking. Maybe I should go back and read the book again, too!!

Your biscuits look great! Well, so many of the dishes you share make me want to cook and eat myself!

A blessed Day of Rejoicing to you, Elizabeth. Christ is risen! I'm going to the cemetery alone to tell everyone :-)