Friday, April 10, 2020

Miracles and the End of Great Lent 2020


We have some extra blessed bread (called prosphora) in our freezer...
we usually would go through about one a week.
The last one we had gotten March 15th and finished today,
I had broken it into small pieces. 
This one I also did into smaller pieces. 
We eat this after having a small drink/sip of blessed holy water,
first thing in the morning before breakfast.


I talked to my niece today in MI,
over video-chat for an hour. 
She is 3 and loves to see things in our home.
It's very sweet. 


I got out the box of my wooden Easter eggs to show her
and later put it in this basket. 


We had 'fake chicken' for dinner from Trader Joes.
I baked it too long but I liked it.
But it has a lot of soy so I can only have a little at a time,
it's rough on the tummy.


I had a new hot pot of tea and two vegan soft cookies 
and a vegan square of chocolate to celebrate Great Lent being over.
We are now in the 'bridge weekend' between Great Lent
and Holy Week. 
And I really feel the passage of time here.
That something has turned as we say goodbye to Great Lent 2020.
***
What a hard Lent it has been.
In some ways other Lents have been harder for us
but WOW this one was hard. 
I found the last 2 weeks progressively harder and had
some curve balls of concern (at least 3!) that I had to wade through
and that weighed me down.
***
One thing I can see is that since late February/early March I was
afraid, very afraid, of running out of something I wanted in terms of food.
I have a very well stocked pantry in terms of pasta, beans/lentils, baking things,
some canned and dried fruit.
I had no shelf-stable vegetables; now I have some; 
I also have lots of tea, treats, jam, honey and cocoa and am 
very very grateful. 
***
We had lived with a lot of fear and unknowns before relating to a now 
thank God *past* unbloggable and I sure kept my pantry well stocked,
to weather any storm as it were... 
***
But not knowing if I would get a grocery delivery slot
for the last month was really hard for me.
(I got an even better on today, Tuesday mornings,
and I can have it every week as long as I keep making a weekly order!
it's a miracle of a magnitude that feels like a sudden 
earthquake but in relief).
I realize that a lot of you don't have this option and that getting groceries
may still be difficult.
I realize I am incredibly fortunate. 
***
So now I can see how scared I was.
How tired.  Actually I am still tired.
I was looking for something in my box in the pantry 
that has more 'bathroom' like supplies 
(soap, shampoo, toothpaste, cotton, that sort of thing) and
I found a box of matchbooks in the pantry.
We had a box for candles and lampadas and we only had a few
matchbooks left.
I had been using a small candle stub as much as I could instead of a match.
So finding an entire unopened box (of 50 matchbooks! this will last us YEARS) in my pantry
was a sudden surprise and made me think more about the sense
of relief I am feeling now.
And it tells me how scared I had been feeling.
***
If I know one thing, it is this.
Don't add guilt to the realization of your sin or weakness.
(Guilt, as in feeling guiltily in a certain way and repentance are not the same thing;
repentance can include sadness, a desire to change and the actual change; 
the guilt I refer to here is different).
So I am not going to beat myself up for my fear.
It is enough to realize it and to seek God.
***
And I found another thing of tealights ... I was getting a bit worried about that too;
I use tealights for our incense burner; it's like everything,
in terms of things and food, is now not at all an immediate worry.
***
I can't imagine the suffering that many have gone through in history
and now.  The lack of things, basic things, needed things.
***
Well.  I guess a big part of Lent for me was struggling
with this fear and also with a lot of sadness in terms of 
the world situation and need for lockdown; that's not over yet
but I feel like something has turned.
***
And I hope that for each of you.
***
Lord have mercy on us.
***
I can tell here we are both quite tired and trying to 
do the best we can.
***
May Christ carry us to His Pascha, His Holy Resurrection. 
***
For all who have their Easter weekend this weekend,
may it be blessed, even if spent in your own home. 

5 comments:

shoreacres said...

There will be a lot of "odd" celebrations of Easter this year, but I hope yours is peaceful and filled with joy! I'm glad you're feeling more secure, and we can pray these restrictions end sooner rather than later!

LizaEllen said...

I love your comment about the difference between "guilt" and "repentance" - It really made me think and realize that I had been doing exactly that - God bless you and your family and friends

Lisa Richards said...

Nice to hear you have a regular slot for groceries. We are out in the country and though our Walmart was counting how many could go in, that lasted for only a short while before they realized there aren't enough of us around here to overfill the store and they took down the barriers, lol. We can shop pretty normally. We will all have to streamline our Easter celebrations. The Lord knows our hearts and is not as concerned with all the trimmings as we sometimes are. So, no stress! Just enjoy His presence and rejoice over His resurrection! Hugs to you!

Granny Marigold said...

I think things are slowly but surely falling into place for you and your household.
Hopefully soon you'll feel more rested and life will be easier. ((hugs))

elizabeth said...

Thank you everyone! yes, things I hope will at least be a bit easier for us personally!

LizaEllen so nice of you to comment! It took me a long time and those wiser than me to talk to about this to realize the difference between guilt and repentance as I described it in this blog post! God bless you!