Friday, November 09, 2018

Friday, cold, rainy but with baking, book reading and hot tea with toast







Well.
What to tell you first?
Driving. I made it.  I was really stressed, esp the trip to pick the car back up.
Lots of rain, poor visibility
and typical NJ pushy cars honking when there is no need. 
Were talking 1.2 miles or so of driving.  And I still did not like it. Sigh.
Moving on.
Tea this morning was good.
I thought for both lunch and dinner making a vegan soup and did not.
I had a lot of toast today.  
I baked in-between lunch and dinner which is partly why I did not make soup.
Space, dishes needing washed, all that.
So that's good. 
Note to self: don't over cook the caramel when melting it in microwave. 
Check.  At least the holiday baking has begun. I hope to do more next week....
Very apt reading for today for me as today I found it hard to be patient.
The old unbloggable, well, that hope I had may be evaporating. :(
The article though is really worth reading, how God really does 
do things in the right time and that we must wait on Him.
Another nice thing, I've been reading Ordinary Wonders out loud
to my Husband later at night and that's been really nice.
We are almost done with reading it.
We are thinking of doing a book or two of letters for the next read.
I liked it but found myself tempted by it too,
as in, 'wouldn't it be nice to be given a place unexpectedly in the
countryside and have it dropped in one's lap' which I don't think is in 
the plan for our lives... 
patience, patience is needed... 
***
My Mom brought to my place in Nj the pink daily flip calendar that I have had probably nearing 30 years, over 25 years for sure. So easy to read such words and still not want to think of oneself as needing its message. Pondering this fact plus the message (picture above) ..... 
Thank God that He is full of patience and kindness....
***
I appreciated this which I saw on social media today:

Image may contain: 1 person, text

Yes, that is what I need to work on again: to rejoice!
***
Another nice thing is that I am still slowly reading Fr Alexander S's Journals,
gives a lot to think about.  Sometimes I feel like I have no idea what
he is speaking of but other times I feel like he is speaking directly to what I see or
am thinking about or need to be hearing. 
My sister-friend had this book (and still does) for years and I always wanted to read it
and now I am... this is a blessing! 
***
Another HUGE blessing is that my Husband and I are going to this 
We've never gone to a concert together, 
I've gone to a few Chanticleer ones a few years back (so lovely)
but this is a really rare thing for us and to hear Elder Zacharias of Essex 
beforehand, HUGE dream come true.
***
[A side note, I am still trying to figure out what to wear! I am thinking 
a long skirt, maybe my gold corduroy one with my maroon shirt and a black jacket, 
black boots, a gold with maroon scarf and my black (faux pill box) hat,
 my red wool jacket and black boots]... weather says 'no rain' Monday...
Also, silly question, but do you think he would have time to autograph a book?
how many hundreds of people will be there? I have no idea.  Just to hear him, see him,
that will be incredible.  I have his books, many of them, 
I was given some by dear dear friends 
of ours in Ottawa on our 6th wedding anniversary.... 
Movie stars, singers, much of pop culture,
I have left behind, do not know, don't want to know.
But Elder Zacharias. Yes.  Him I want to see, hear and I hope in time read his books
I know he has deep things to say and I know some of my greatest treasures are the books
from the Essex Monastery.  Treasures.
***
I have to come back again and again to the lesson about being with God today,
not worrying or even dwelling on the future.
Being thankful.  Doing what I can and not what I can't.
***
May God help us all, as we look for His mercy.

8 comments:

Lisa Richards said...

Lots of good stuff in this post. Toast sounds so good right now!
Yes, it seems like we need to keep learning the same lessons over and over, doesn't it? It keeps us trusting in Him and not ourselves, I guess. ;)
God bless!

GretchenJoanna said...

I have no idea about the likelihood of Elder Zacharias autographing a book, but I would surely tuck the smallest one you have into your handbag just in case!!

GretchenJoanna said...

Oh, and I really liked that article about the timing of God's will.

elizabeth said...

Lisa, yes! thanks!!! Yes, we sure do keep having the same lessons!!!

G-J, yes... I am thinking if I do get a moment that it would be better to ask for his prayers, even if only for a few days for a few friends who love him very much... and yes, the article on God's will and timing is so lovely!!!

Becki said...

I got lost for a bit following links and reading about and viewing pictures of Orthodox monasteries. Interesting story about patience and waiting on God's timing. It occurs to me that whether we're patient or not, God's will will always prevail - and in His perfect timing. Patience, it seems to me, is the evidence of trusting in that. Says one who often struggles with patience.

elizabeth said...

Becki, oh fun! I wish I could of seen all you were looking at (pictures etc!)... it's a nice 'rabbit hole' to be down! I've been to various Orthodox monasteries in the US, Canada and Holland and each has it's own presence and character and all have blessed me! :) Yes, God's way ultimately will prevail... He will work through His redemption of this world, etc... I think I would think of it this way, however: a friend told me years ago how her Mother wanted to give her something and then my friend did something that showed the Mother that she simply was not ready for that specific gift and did not give it to her. I think as we grow, God is able to give us a bit more of something; also if one is not ready or willing to receive what God offers, He will not force it on someone. This is a really important part to understand - that God respects our free will and while HIS will will prevail in now and in the future, where we are IN God's will is partly up to us, as we are free NOT to choose Him. And on a smaller level, perhaps growing in patience means that as one grows, one can be given a bit more of something, and that God may actually have to be patient with us as He knows what His perfect timing is based also on how He sees us - as in we may not be ready for the next thing quite yet so all we know is God is waiting and we see it all as God's perfect timing. It's a bit of a mystery, of course, as if I would know the mind of God!!! :) I do appreciate your comments very much and am so glad you are here! :)

Martha said...

I love Fr. Seraphim Rose. My dad lived in Platina for a summer in the 70s. His talk "Building an Orthodox World- View" is great. I need to read Fr. Alexander Schnemann, our son's soon to be Godmother was just talking about him.

E Helena E said...

I really appreciate reading this quotation of Fr. Seraphim Rose, especially at this time. Thank you.