Sunday, November 25, 2018

Various Days of God's mercy


My 'best China' plates (white with gold rims) are put away, to do so
I had to get out a bit of my Christmas Spode... I look forward to using this again 
come our January 7 Christmas! 


I am hoping to have a lunch with fish, pasta and salad with desserts,
here for new calendar St Nicholas Day for local church friends/family.
So the table is staying right where it is... 
I already have two small pages of notes, thinking about this meal and how
to keep it simple... using my Grandma's plates and tea cups, 
bowls that are dish washer-able and such things.
I will be using my silver-plate silverware though, as I don't have service
for enough otherwise! I am not sure how many will come, maybe 8, maybe less, maybe more.
I do well when I am planning things and am glad to have this to think about.
Esp. because our unbloggable stress is ongoing.
Ongoing and not going anywhere soon I think!
But God is with us and I've been through other hard times that were,
on many levels, much worse. 


Isn't this crocheted cup and saucer just darling?
the older lady those Mother we used to visit in the nursing home,
who died a few years ago, made it. 
I love it so much. 
It is being displayed with great affection and remembrance.
The doily is made by my Oma and mirror and Kleenex box were on her dresser.
I am pleased how this goes so well with the gift of this handmade tea cup and saucer!


We've been feasting on Thanksgiving leftovers! 
I think it's one of my most favourite meals!



Soon it will be the fast
(conveniently, my far-away priest noted, beginning on Wednesday,
which is a fast day for us anyway!)
***
Believe it or not, I go to NYC again tomorrow! 
My 2x yearly eye appointment at the very good ophthalmologist.
I think this year I went 3x though because of the issue that was from
the newly discovered growing cataract. 
I am hoping to go to Trader Joes to get this punch...
and some hand lotion for winter months! 











It was good to be at our far-away church again this morning!
And nice to see friends at coffee hour and afterwards.
We went to shoprite and I stocked up on pantry things, esp.
foil, parchment paper, bags + vinegar and breaded fish fillets!
We rested at home and then watched the Walton's while enjoying
yet another Thanksgiving leftovers plate of food!
I am enjoying not having to cook for a bit!
***
I am still reading Fr A. S's journals and felt like I saw
how I was born into a time of a lot of confusion about
what it means to be human, a man, a woman, a family.
His journals are very enlightening and instructive this way.
I have so many things I would love to write about 
but we will see what I can do in the next year.
Only God knows.
For now, I am happy that I can DV have a St Nicholas Lunch,
plan on making lots of pasta sauce, 
hope to decorate the our home for Christmas and 
do St Nicholas day baking... 
***
May God help us all and have mercy on us!

3 comments:

Elizabethd said...

I do love leftovers! there is always so much to choose from.

Lisa Richards said...

I shouldn't read your posts when I'm hungry! ;) Great looking food! I have a collection of things my mom made including some decoupaged boxes and a large doll. It's good to remember the good things! :)

Becki said...

The crocheted tea cup, doily & saucer, along with the mirror and tissue box are beautiful. I love the green accents.