Monday, November 19, 2018

A Good Day in NYC










Thanks to each person who commented on my last post or who emailed me! 
I really appreciate the reaching out and encouragement.
Today was better for me, though our unbloggable situation is unchanged.
I went to NYC and did errands including a last minute run to Trader Joe's.
The fast begins for us next week Wednesday and so I stocked up on some yummy
veggie burgers, as well as other things, including another
type of hors d'oeuvre ... an onion and cheese one...
plus the spiced apple cider (making it easy for me on Thanksgiving!), and a 
bottle of sparkling apple cider and some crackers that I hope will go well with a soft
cheese that I am getting the day of Thanksgiving, with the meal. 
I cheered myself up by writing 'copious lists' for Thanksgiving...
it does help me to get it all down and figure out what to do when.
I was really excited when this new book came!!! 
I am also excited about trying this dumpling stew once the fast is here. 
I also plan on making another batch of my beloved Fia Sauce next week.
I love pasta and am realizing that this is a good thing for me to make during the fast.
I so struggle with fasting meals now days.
Maybe I will try this Pasta as well...
I think part of my issue is that, perhaps because of how I cope with difficult things,
I just want really familiar food 
(note, to me restaurants that serve Thai or Indian food are familiar, but I am not 
good are recreating these!) that I can make easily and that 
is not a big change for me (like not cauliflower used in new ways, no offence for 
the many who do, that's cool, it's just not what I am looking for)
 I should remember this taco recipe as well... 
Well, that is 4 recipes that are fasting, which is great! Thankfully the 
Nativity Fast is a lighter one, with more fish days
(for a full fast in the Orthodox Christian tradition is basically vegan 
(no meat, dairy, eggs) but ironically can have shellfish, which is not vegan per say...
Tomorrow I hope to clean/get the house ready for Thanksgiving + make the 
cranberry and yam dish ... I was able to get the books for the church library/church bookstore 
nearly all finished and they are put away...
I am grateful that I have most of the Thanksgiving meal made for me, 
as it lessons the amount of work, which is still a lot and it's just me
doing it all (a friend is coming early to help) as my Husband is swamped with work.
Thankfully I am used to doing lots of work for dinner parties and enjoy it.
I feel like each dinner is a work of art and I just love creating a beautiful event!
I only use my best dishes a few times a year so this is extra special for me.
Well, God is with us, He carries us through the hard and good times.
I pray that He will save us...and have mercy! 

5 comments:

Tracy said...

Glad you had a lovely day out & about in NYC, Elizabeth. Little things that lift at blessings. :) And list-making does that too. Very much enjoy seeing/reading about your preparations for the Nativity Fast. And what a beautiful book! I must add Lights on the Mountain to my reading list!! Blessings to you this week of Thanksgiving, may you & your guests be blessed with a beautiful day! ((HUGS))

Becki said...

I love seeing your list. Especially on such pretty paper. I would imagine those could become keepsakes someday for someone.:-)

Lilly's Mom said...

It looks like you have everything in order for your Thanksgiving dinner. I'm sure your guests will have a lovely time at your home with all this delicious food you'll be serving. Thank you for sharing some wonderful recipes. Have a blessed Thanksgiving. Pat 🦃🍁🍂

Lisa Richards said...

It looks like you're very busy! And, yes, your meals are a work of art! One of your many gifts! :)

karen said...

always praying about your unbloggable stress. I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!!