Sunday, November 11, 2018

Sunday, with dreams of Thanksgiving and Christmas baking


I am planning Thanksgiving! 
The picture above is what the meal I am ordering will have... 
 I need to finalize some things but here's the menu 
I am thinking of:

 Hors d'oeuvres/appetizers: 

Cheese and crackers? 
cranberry and Camembert fillo bites (Trader Joes)

Thanksgiving Dinner/Meal:

Turkey
cranberry stuffing
sausage stuffing
mashed potatoes
cranberry sauce
green beans 
gravy
yam dish with cranberries
rolls + butter
green salad + toppings 
applesauce 

apple tart 
cranberry pie
turtle bars
ice cream

hot apple cider
tea, coffee,
lemon water 

I am thinking, based on my pictures of last year, 
and that we are having at least 8 for dinner this year,
instead of 5, that I will have the the hot and cold drinks,
plus desserts + serving spatulas, 
(both the tall glass cake stand with cover and 
the low cake stand with matching server + 
a pretty plate for the turtle bars)
 dessert plates + silverware, teapots, coffee pot, 
and also the rolls/bread, hors d'oeuvres/appetizers on one table
and the meal itself on the island, with more candles used,
on both the island and food table. 

The only thing I will have to figure out is if I can have the 
hot apple cider and lemon water on the actual table, 
as this may be more convenient for the meal... 
or if it will need to be on the table with the other food... 

Here's some pictures from last year (via my blog)


I am thinking this year of using the same water goblets + wine goblets that I got this year
so that we can have a choice of colder / room temperature drinks,
 plus tea cups again for the hot apple cider.... 


 I am excited to have this meal and to make a really love
Thanksgiving Dinner party for everyone who comes! 



It was beautiful at our far-away church... 
Did you know that we always see NYC in the skyline as we drive back home?



Mr Husband spoiled me and we got the canned yams that I had been wanting before heading back home... I want to make the cranberry and sweet potato dish again for Thanksgiving and 
did not yet have the yams for it! 




We have the chicken parm again for dinner... I could of made more
spaghetti... it's hard to get it just right so that one does not have leftovers! 



Tonight I prepared the turtle bars for the freezer,
wax paper first and then foil and then put into freezer bags.
I hope to make a second batch on Tuesday.
I actually would like to get a lot of baking done this week...
we will see what happens... it would be nice to have more time so that I can 
work on gifts of tea blends... I also hope to have vanilla this year...
it's a wonderful time of year and I am so excited for it all! 

6 comments:

Elizabethd said...

All looks very appetising! I would love to know what turtle bars are?

Becki said...

Your Thanksgiving menu looks perfect! I think we're having ham, and since I discovered how good butternut squash is roasted, I may make that. But that's as far as I've gotten in my "planning". I enjoy seeing your view of NYC on your drive home from your far away church. You give me ideas for things to post this month during NaBloPoMo. I don't live near anything quite so large as NYC, but Indianapolis's skyline is my "big city" ;^) and is interesting to watch grow as we approach it.

Lisa said...

I was also thinking about Thanksgiving today, now that my brother's birthday is over. It's coming too fast!

Tracy said...

Your Thanksgiving menus sounds soooo delicious...YUM! Pasta is hard to cook, isn't it, especially for two...I often end up with too much... LOL! Enjoy all your making and baking this week... So lovely to see the NYC skyline! :))) ((HUGS))

elizabeth said...

Elizabethd- turtle bars are basically a brownie bar with caramel and walnuts! recipe here: https://eroosje.blogspot.com/2015/12/turtle-bars-eat-one-and-you-will-want.html

Becki, thanks so much!!! Looking forward to reading your posts!

Lisa, yes, it IS coming up so fast!

Thanks Tracy!!! a big HUG back!!!

Gina said...

Elizabeth, I hope this comment sticks. I think I've solved the problem (crossing my fingers!). Oh my your photographs and menu are making me hungry! Looks like you have everything all set! I'm not cooking this year. I'll be visiting my daughter & family. xo