Thursday, November 15, 2018

Snow, Ice, Rain...books, baking and meals...











My wish was granted! My Husband stayed home to work from home today!
The snow was falling by 2 PM, I can hear people out shoveling as I write this,
now after 10 PM... it's still windy, freezing rain has been falling for a good while,
I am not sure if anything is still falling now... we had a lot of wet snow... it won't last around here though and I expect it will be gone latest by Saturday. 
Our house is a bit of a cluttered mess...tomorrow I will attend to this DV 
and I hope do bookstore and maybe come correspondence that I am very behind in.
So I baked today, caramel toffee bars... I think I will make them 'bites' as they are so rich
and I don't have too many of them, once they are cut up into pieces that is, 
 and have many people I wish to give baked goods too...
I LOVED Miss Read's Village Diary and am now on to her Storm in the Village...
I ordered a new hat this past week, after feeling the guilt I struggle with at times when
wanting to buy something...still working that out.
Anyway, the hat will be for special occasions, as is my other 2 hats, same hat,
just different colour (I have a black and a white one) and I hope to wear it for Thanksgiving
and also Christmas (my Christmas outfit is the same colour as the hat, 
sweater/shirt part of the outfit that is....)
We are still having some unbloggable concerns... 
but we are doing what we can everyday and we keep working on things
together, as a team and I thank God so much for our marriage and that we
really did become best friends... 
I have started to read Tolkien's letters to Mr Husband before we wind down
for bed and those have been quite striking... 
we listened to the Hobbit at lunch and dinner today and that is lovely...
we hope to do more of this tomorrow!
Tolkien's books really bring us both a lot of comfort and 
we have much to be thankful for.
I did a bunch of laundry today... and did a total OOPS too...
used a different sized parchment paper (as I was newly out of the kind I normally use)
and it was too big and caught fire in the toaster oven.
Without thinking I threw cups of water and got the fire out, but 
forgot to unplug it first... so hopefully it is still working! 
It's unplugged now, the whole area I cleaned and I carefully, after it was unplugged,
cleaned and dried the inside and outside... it's tipped  on it's side right now as one part seemed wet
still, though it's dry now... so tomorrow will check it out with Mr. Husband...who is working
from home again tomorrow...
Thank God it was not worse... 
I am so glad for ordinary quiet days like this one, home with my Husband
and a nice chat on the phone with my Mom earlier today 
and a warm home and warm bed and hot water bottles for extra warmth
on the colder days, thinking of all those struggling,
all those who don't have what they need to stay warm...
may the Lord have mercy and keep them safe, warm, by His miracles... 
Lord have mercy, so many suffering, struggling!
Lord have mercy on us all! 

6 comments:

Lilly's Mom said...

I'm happy to hear you are safe and warm after this terrible storm. Last night, I watched it on the news. Your photo of the falling snow is lovely. It's been many years since I experienced a winner wonderland. I do miss the four seasons. Stay safe. Hugs, Pat

Tracy said...

How LOVELY your all your dishes--that floral pink set is especially pretty! And how pretty the snow! It is a mess to deal with, but pretty... LOL! How beautiful is your hat--that cranberry color is perfect for Thanksgiving! I used wear/collect hats. I think we lost something when women--and men, too--stopped wearing hats... Glad your toaster oven incident didn't turn into an incident! :/ Wonderful reading you have just now, and sharing it with your husband too--so beautiful to be able to share these things. God Bless you... and keep you warm and safe. :) ((HUGS)

Elizabethd said...

Your weather is unbelievable! We are having a rainy day here but with some sunny moments.....that sounds like a TV weather forecaster doesn't it?!
An ordinary day is perfect, calm and quiet (apart from the toaster!)

Gina said...

Elizabeth, Good to know that you had lots of delightful treats to eat during the snowstorm! Have you read CS Lewis books? They are right up there with Tolkien in my opinion. xo

Becki said...

I saw on the news tonight the weather you're having out east. Brrr Glad to know neither of you had to be out in the mess. Mmmm... your treats looks amazing!

elizabeth said...

Pat, thanks! I would miss the 4 seasons too! a hug to you!

Tracy, thanks so very much!!! Yes, I think that too, about hats! yes, so wonderful that we can share such things with one's husband!

Elizabethd - thanks! :) yes, ordinary days are just wonderful!

Gina, thanks! YES!!! I love CS Lewis, been reading him since I was a very young teen!! I have a book of his letters that I mean to return to reading soon!

Becki, yes! and thanks!!