Monday, September 17, 2018

Dinner, belated, for St Phanourios + wedding anniversary (with chicken baked in cream and other delights!)








St Phanourios bread - used the butter and brandy recipe found here, for the first time.
Only change is that I put powered sugar on top.













+Patrick's chair and sweater put in a shadow box.



After liturgy and lunch, we went out for tea with our Munchkin and his Mom!
Then we got stuck in traffic but made it home by about 3 PM.
A bit of a mad-dash race to finish everything.
I had done as much prep as I could.
The chicken I doubled the sauce; NOTE: fed 8 adults, 1 child. If 8 adults, have more than
4.5lbs chicken as there was only a little left.  It worked great.
Chicken baked in cream is simple and tastes incredible!


This wine was a gift a few years ago.  Wonderful to use it for our special dinner!
































I don't know if you can see the napkin's design... my best ones...
I pretreated them with two things (shout and biz), soaked in water
and washed... all stains (well but one) came out, I was very pleased!




That was a few intense days of meal prep etc.
It was so lovely, with dear dear NJ friends.
And we were showered with flowers and I could not have been happier!
And our far-away church priest did a moleben to St. Phanourios and
it was so special, beautiful and encouraging! 
***
We have some shifting unbloggable worries that are going to,
I think, increase in intensity soon - but - with God we will make it through
and we have a lot of support which is wonderful.
Also my parents-in-law are coming and I get to do a tea with them and two
of their friends on Saturday and I am so excited for this!
And in early October my parents come (we hope to go to the VNA rummage sale!)
and that will be a lot of fun, God willing!
***
I was able to polish our silver-tea set and clean our candle stick holders
so I am all set for more company!
Today was more cleaning and laundry.
And more tomorrow. 
***
I am so thankful for all the blessings God has given us!
I keep thinking,
more blessings than troubles....

8 comments:

Tracy said...

Such beauty and deliciousness, Elizabeth! How wonderful your celebratory dinner! Fun to see all the prep too! So wonderful to have occasions to bring out the silver, isn't it? :) The chicken in cream is similar to a recipe I've made, but without the Worcestershire Sauce... must try with the W. Sauce as I think that would add a bit of extra depth to the flavor...mmm... So very glad you'll have family visiting in the days and weeks ahead--what a sweet lift to the heart. :) God Bless you & keep close to you in the days ahead. Praying coming your way! :) "more blessings than troubles...." That is a wonderful motto! ((HUGS))

elizabeth said...

Thanks Tracy!!!! Yes, it is wonderful to have occasions to bring out the silver! the W sauce really adds to it! very savory!!! Yes, I am so grateful for the family visits!!! and the motto really helps! :)

Lisa Richards said...

Lots of pretty pictures! You are an ace in the kitchen!

Becki said...

Beautiful pictures. So much joy in all your preparations and sharing your celebration with friends, and anticipation of having your parents visit. Happy Anniversary, and many more I hope you see! I am reminded... We used to sing a little song in church when couples were celebrating a wedding anniversary. Happy Anniversary. Many more we hope you'll see. Take the Savior as your guide. He will walk close by your side.

author said...

I love all the details and photos.
Did you brown your chicken before baking it?
What was in the bread pans?

elizabeth said...

Thanks Lisa!!! :)

Becki, what a lovely prayer, thank you!!! yes, we have a lot of things to be thankful for!

Author - thanks so much! I did brown the chicken before - though not very much - enough that there was white instead of raw and hints of brown. Once the garlic and onion are chopped, and the chicken browned, it is a very easy recipe! I cook it in my dutch oven, as it really does need a tight fitting lid! The bread pans had the St. Phanourios bread in them! I made some to give away and one to serve at the meal!

Lisa said...

Biz is amazing, isn't it?

elizabeth said...

Lisa ~ yes! I think so! I was really pleased!