Saturday, September 22, 2018

A lot of goodness poured in and out of today




I woke up more rested and more at peace....
I was grateful putting the new glasses away in their boxes in the 
kitchen cupboard, near the two IKEA boxes of the 2 footed glass bowls I have
that I keep in boxes in the same cupboard and get out for nice dinners.
The 2 French cut glass goblets I will use more often.
Maybe someday I will get more, esp if some other glasses break.
I know this is a very small petty thing but beauty 
is something so important to me and I hope that it can be used to be like this
essay that was so deeply beautiful and encouraging - about
Corrie Ten Boom's sister Betsy and how she created beauty and order
everywhere she lived, even in prison. 
I know that I feel so strongly to wish to create beauty for others.
Today we had the tea for two of my parents-in-law's oldest friends
and it was such a nice visit. 



I had the Dutch plates (actually they are from Finland!), Dutch teaspoons, 
my 3 tiered tea tray with GF goodies, a plate with the St. Phanourious bread,
tea, water and strawberries, sugar and cream.





It was a really nice time.
These two couples + one other all got married the same week
decades ago and they all were at each other's wedding.
Now, over 50 years later, two of these three couples,
one being my parents-in-law were at my home for tea
and it was so lovely.
So much like home also, as they are from my background
(Dutch, Canada, West MI) and it was a delightful time.


We had a nice conversation with our priest
by this icon tonight, before vespers.
He is a very special, self-giving, caring priest.
I treasure these moments.


And his wife, our local Matushka, gave us these cookies,
with pecans! And tied with a beautiful white ribbon,
such a nice touch!
A kind gift after a week with various challenges.
Tomorrow we hope to go to our far-away church as 
my Husband is a decades long member and his parents know
people there as well.
Already my father-in-law fixed our bathroom sink, suggested other changes,
is gearing up to fix more things, including shelving for a closet
we dubbed 'the crazy closet' because it is jammed full of things without shelves
to organize it!
I am thankful for all of this.

2 comments:

Becki said...

I'm glad you've enjoyed the company of so many different friends and family recently, Elizabeth. I always enjoy seeing your pictures - and how you create such a pretty hospitable space in your home. And thank you for sharing the link to that essay. I found it fascinating and thought provoking. I believe I may re-read it a couple of times to let its words soak in.

elizabeth said...

You are so welcome Becki! I love this essay too!