Thursday, January 14, 2016

On the 8th day of Christmas...


 St. Basil's day!
I had some of my favourite take out food!
Mr. Husband worked late out of necessity but it gave me
a peaceful day with reading and Christmas dinner party preparation for Friday... 


I read all of The Velvet Room, it was so lovely.
About a 12 year old girl who struggles with the difficulties of her 
family's life (noise, crowd, poverty, illness), is a voracious reader,
musical, has a ill but kind, wise father who loves history, music, books...
and she finds this beautiful room in an abandoned mansion 
and it is so lovely... 
set in 1937 in California, a real joy to read.
And I understand why I loved it so much in grade 7, reading it again
and again at my school library.
I was just like Robin, though not musical like she is,
but I was always wondering off, even going into the apple orchard next to our
school to get away from it all... 


We enjoyed some good St Basil's bread (Vasilopita) and tea at night.
The coin has not yet been found, but the bread is a large loaf
and there were only two of us home to share it! 





The Young Unicorns is one of my favourite of all of 
Madeleine L'Engle's books.
I am so happy to have this one now, a 1st edition 7th printing, 
almost 10 years after the first printing...
*
And Mr Husband got another history book!
He is very selective about what history books he wishes to own
and I am delighted that he has a few new ones this year! 


Some special hard cider that Mr Husband worked so hard to find,
and another neat book for Mr. Husband! 



This page was esp. cool -
literary figures in miniature! 
And so we had another wonderful day of Christmas.

2 comments:

Pom Pom said...

Hi Elizabeth! You are having fun with your Christmas! I love old books, too! I remember my elementary school library so fondly AND the public library! Do you remember Mount Joy? I read it again a few years ago. So good!

elizabeth said...

Thanks Pom Pom, I don't know the book Mount Joy. Can you tell me the author?