Sunday, January 17, 2016

11th Day of Christmas


Chocolate and Chai tea was my fuel for the day ;)


A good friend brought the cheese platter for the hors d'oeuvres.


Cleo was ready for the party!



Everyone had a place setting tag.
I worked hard trying to arrange people in a good table setting! 



The beef roast turned out well!
Used this recipe, had talked to a lady at our local church about 
how to do a pot roast and her verbal instructions were very helpful...
brown the meat, use butter, (I added a bit of extra virgin olive oil at the end), 
cook for a good long while, at least 2 hours. 
Then, an hour before the meal, add the vegetables.
Don't add strait wine, it will burn, add water first.
For whatever reason, the beef roast recipes were seeming a bit
incomprehensible to me. 
Once I heard her speak of it, it all made sense.
I added only pearl onions, already peeled from our grocery delivery service,
added about 3 cups (3/4th of the Cabernet Sauvignon bottle) of wine.
(The additional wine was based on reading Julia Child's cookbook and a recipe
that called for 5 cups of wine, though some of it boiled down by half).
I added 2 cups to start, with some water first.
Used my best flake salt and pepper. 
Sprinkled thyme, marjoram and basil on top, according to the recipe.
I cooked it in my Dutch oven, covered the whole time.
I wanted lots of left overs so I added 1lb of organic stewing beef
on the sides surrounding the beef roast.
*
My goal, as funny as this sounds, was to have
a lot of left overs for easy meals for the rest of Jan-February
so that I can do other things...


Since I had St. Basil's bread,
I had his icon with a candle lit on the buffet as well. 
*
Menu in full:

~Cheese platter
~Roast beef with red potatoes and carrots, with pearl onions, spices and red wine
~Mashed potatoes (pre-made via grocery delivery service)
~Cranberry stuffing (also premade)
~Salad that A. brought
~Hot fruit salad, made day of
~St. Basil's bread (N. got the coin, happy for her!)
~Cheesecake with caramel sauce and chocolate bourbon sauce 
~Tea: my guests choose Lemongrass Tea and English Breakfast
*
It was a good 11th day of Christmas and I thank God for
everyone who was able to be at our table this year!

2 comments:

Pom Pom said...

Hi Elizabeth! I liked seeing this dinner party on Instagram (kmaston) and again today! I'm going to put your blog on my blog roll so I don't miss any posts. Aw! Cleo! So soft and pretty!

Lisa said...

Cleo likes to oversee the table settings, doesn't she? She looks like a supervisor!