Friday, November 22, 2019

(89) A quiet day and remembering my beloved Cleo as I think about Christmas









A good breakfast with dried cherries in oatmeal with honey and tea.
I made a simple lentil soup...
one large onion fried in olive oil, 2 cloves garlic,
2 carrots cut up and 4.5 small potatoes cup up and fried at end before adding
dried oregano, dried pepper flakes fried 
then 8 cups water, 1 28 oz can of tomatoes with basil
and a small bag of red lentils.
Brought to a boil and then simmered for an hour.
2 large handfuls of spinach and lemon juice added at the end.
Had with sour dough bread for dinner.
It was a nice simple warm meal on a cold night. 
***
I talked with A from Romania today, that was really nice.
Finished a whole bunch of wash clothes,
weaving in ends. 
***
I've been thinking about Cleo and about loss... 
loss is part of life and I am seeing that part of grief is 
accepting the change, the loss, learning to adjust to life 
after the loss, adapting.
A lot of accepting. Facing the sadness but also accepting it.
Accepting, moving on, remembering, acknowledging the sadness
and accepting it as part of the whole.
***
I hope to put up the Christmas tree the day after Thanksgiving;
as I hope to do a lunch for St Nicholas day on Dec 6th locally,
I don't have a lot of time to both prepare the meal and have the house
decorated festively for the Christmas season and St Nicholas to me
is part of the joy of Christmas and I am excited to celebrate his day,
as I always do, twice, on Dec 6th and Dec 19th
(new and old calendar).  He's one of my favourites and is so dear to me.
I find the Saint's stories of their lives and their deep commitment to Christ
inspiring and that which gives strength. 
***
I gave away, on another topic, or returning to an older one, Cleo my Cat,
I gave away her last 2 cans of cat food today to a local friend 
who has been such a help to us and whose garden
Cleo is buried in. 
I am glad her cat can enjoy these treats.
***
I am really glad at the idea of putting up the Christmas tree while
Mr Husband is home on Friday after Thanksgiving.
It will make the fact that Cleo is not here to jump into the empty box
that holds my artificial Christmas tree the minute the box is empty... 
She did that every year!
How many happy times we had!
She was such a dear Cleo Cat Pal and I will always miss her
and will always be glad I had her. 
***
I found a beautiful white (Lennox brand) table cloth that I hope to use
this year for the second (long) table I put up for the Christmas holidays.
I think it is going to look really beautiful.
I am so glad for that. 
***
Last year's meal for St Nicholas was nice to look on 
and see Cleo too. 
I am thankful that even though Cleo is not with us,
I still have much to do and a Cleo to remember with love,
even though I can't have her sitting nearby, looking at me
for a treat or just enjoying being near those she knew loved her. 
***
Truly we have much to be thankful for.

5 comments:

Granny Marigold said...

I went back to last year's picture just to see Cleo sitting like she was waiting to be served at the table. She sure did have personality. I know you miss her and probably always will.

Becki said...

Your lentil soup recipe looks delicious. I've been enjoying an Italian Lentil soup I made a couple of days ago. It has felt good on a sore throat, and has been very tasty. I like what you said about accepting the sadness. I think this is so true. It will wane in time, but I think experiencing it, accepting it, when it is fresh is such a healthy thing to do.

Lisa Richards said...

The lentil soup does sound good! Enjoy your holiday festivities! :)

GretchenJoanna said...

I just yesterday noticed in my cupboard a bag of lentils, which I must have bought for just such a time as this! I used to make many different versions of lentil soup in "the old days," and maybe I should dig up one of those beloved recipes. Winter soups are so comforting!

Lisa said...

I made a lentil soup last week - it seems everyone here has been thinking of lentil soup. :) I thought we'd have soup every day for the week before Thanksgiving, and we have.