Thursday, November 21, 2019

(88) the last few days (and a wonderful Cleo gift)







On Tuesday 2 dear friends from my church (father and daughter) and I 
went to NYC to the Met (Metropolitan Museum of Art).  
It was really nice.  
I hope to share more pictures later.
I went to our church class at night
and the Christmas trees that are sold by our church are back
and the they smell SO SO good...
Last night we went to vespers for the (new calendar)
Feast of the Entrance of the Mother of God into the Temple.
This is when Christ's Mother goes to the Temple as a little girl...
my Oma died on this feast 8 years ago in 13 days 
(on the 'old calendar' feast day December 4th).
This is a beautiful feast and I am so glad DV to go to it 
2x and this morning locally! 
Lisa was very kind and emailed me when Cleo was dying
and arranged that I would have a beautiful Christmas ornament with Cleo
on it for this Christmas and it came yesterday
and I just love it.
It's esp. comforting as I miss Cleo and it's our first Christmas without her...
I hope to get the Christmas tree up right after Thanksgiving
(which is late this year!) so that by Dec 6th all is ready 
for (new calendar) St Nicholas day as I am doing a lunch
again for my local church at my home! 
And for Christmas Mr Husband suggested we do all 12 days and 
a gift or treat time (and reading Father Christmas Letters by Tolkien!) every day!
We've really passed a difficult season and that my Husband feels up to doing
it this way shows it! 
I am so grateful for this time in our lives...
I know that there will be hard times again as there always is
but it is so good to have this time too.

8 comments:

Lisa said...

That was fast, Elizabeth! I'm glad it meets with your approval. xo

GretchenJoanna said...

I'm impressed by your husband's suggestion about the Twelve Days of remembrances and treats :-) I always thought that would be fun... I suppose, this year I could do at least a few with the family who will still be with me :-)

Granny Marigold said...

Your new ornament will look lovely on your tree. Will you get a real one or an artificial one? We used to get real trees but they drop so many needles ( especially since I like to put them up early).

elizabeth said...

Hi Granny Marigold! We have an artificial tree! My husband is allergic to real ones!

Paula said...

Granny Marigold, you need to get a fir tree. We buy Douglas fir (because we like the blue undertone). Mine's up for a good month. Basically the only needles that fall off are when it gets dragged in and out of the house. Also, fir needles are softer and don't hurt so much when you step on them.

Elizabeth, love the ornament.

Elizabethd said...

A very pretty ornament, and such a thoughtful gift too.

Becki said...

What a wonderfully sweet gift that ornament with Cleo's picture on it is. Lisa was very thoughtful.

Gloria said...

What a beautiful gift from a caring friend, something that you will always have to help keep a part of Cleo in your heart every year during the Christmas season.