Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Lemon Curd, Raspberry Citrus Cake

For a recent Ladies Tea I hosted,
I made a new cake...
I knew I wanted lemon and raspberries... 
So I put on FB two choices of recipes...  
I could not choose!


Grace and Elizabeth confirmed my choice of cake to make
for the leftover lemon curd and raspberries that I got on sale.
This one is it!

I used the ingredients called for in the cake:

For the cake

1 ¼ cups sugar
½ cup softened butter
1 medium egg
½ cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon orange zest
⅓ cup orange juice
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 ½ cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ tablespoon baking soda


I had lemon curd premade that I got at the 
Chelsea market for another cake.


Recipe calls for this in the topping;
1 cup heavy cream
2 sticks sugar
1 pint raspberries
*
I did not know what a stick of sugar was
and frantically emailed Elizabeth the night before!
She saved the day, explaining... 
"A stick of sugar is just one of those long thin sugar sachets you can get in coffee shops for sweetening your coffee, just like these...
''you could just use a teaspoon of superfine sugar/caster sugar as a substitute for each "stick" recommended."
*
I really don't know what I would of done without her speedy
culinary help! I had googled it (sticks of sugar) and 
google would only give me things for 
sticks of butter!
*
I did not have superfine/caster sugar so I used
icing/powdered sugar and about 3 tbs or so...
Basically until the whipped cream had a noticeable but
not overly sweet taste; I find that 
heavy whipping cream by itself, when whipped, 
tastes a bit 'flat' without something added...
so that worked really well! 


I whipped the cream till stiff as advised...


I gently washed and picked the best
of the raspberries for the top of the cake! 



It turned out really well!


It was a great finale for our tea! 

4 comments:

Lisa said...

You always have a very pretty table.

Anonymous said...

Lemon and raspberries? I am so going to try this! One of my favorite go to cakes is also a Nigella Lawson. It's a super easy chocolate orange marmalade cake. It looks like you did an amazing job!

Elizabeth @ The Garden Window said...

It looks absolutely luscious - I am so glad I was able to help! :-D

margaret said...

Ohhhh... I would have assumed a stick of sugar was the same as a stick of butter and used 4oz :) It is a beautiful cake.