Monday, November 02, 2020

Beautiful, Blustery, Sunny, Cold NYC
























I love cold bright sunny blustery days.
To not lose my hat (it was a cotton beret so very easily blown off),
I wore my earmuffs over when walking around...
I always love cold sunny days, they were my favourite in Ottawa...
when I felt so alive... 
***
Tomorrow and the next day are going to be quite tiring for me,
so if I don't blog right away, that's why.
***
So I got (I think 15!) more books from my library...
I have 2 shelves full, these shelves are right next to where I am typing and I
am so excited to have so many good books to read for the next months.
I did return some library books today as well. :) 
***
I have Thai curry with beef today (and brought the leftovers home for 
Mr Husband, he enjoyed them with extra rice for dinner!)
***
I bought a super cute pink beret hat today at a CVS...
I am already dreaming about wearing a cute dress I have with pink
to match that hat when I DV one day visit NYC again... 
***
I find that thinking of something in the future that can be fun, 
from wearing a special outfit, to an outing to the library,
to reading a special book or planning a tea or meal for
friends to come over... 
***
I am finding it more and more important to look for what is good,
what is beautiful, what I can be thankful for.
What gives joy to life ... the joie de vivre
(interestingly this French phrase seems to be first found in 
 FĂ©nelon who was a very well known Roman Catholic
in the 17th century...it would be cool to see where he used this phrase...)
for me it is not the pursuit of pleasure but a joy that is form
a desire to have a deeper thanksgiving for life as God has given it to me
in the day at hand; it's a living in the present and trusting God to care for me
in the moments that I am currently living in. 
***
It is not a denial of pain; rather I think joy of life can only come when
one has come to terms, as much as one can in any given day,
with the grief that one may have in that day, but seeking
not to be, ultimately, over come by it.  
***
When one is in great deep grief, it is very hard to believe there can
be pleasure in life again; I remember this well.
But with God's help, 
slowly, with time, one can be brought back to life again.
And even back to the joie de vivre
the joy of life.
***
Well.  I better try to get to bed.
It's going to be a tiring time for me,
so I better get off to it.
***
God be with you dear friends.
May God have mercy and envelope us in His peace
and in His care.

6 comments:

Lisa Richards said...

Looks like you had a beautiful day with lots of good food! I loved that front stoop with all the pumpkins! It's always nice to have a plenteous supply of good books on hand. Can you renew them online? We can do that here and it's very convenient. Keep looking for the joy! :)

Granny Marigold said...

How nice that you had a lovely day in NYC. I would love to browse in that Miniatures shop . I'm sure I could find lots of things for my doll house.

Martha said...

The steps with pumpkins + tree lined urban streets with fire escapes are so pretty.

elizabeth said...

Lisa R ~ yes we can renew online; because it is a private (subscription) library they are also waiving all fees because of the pandemic!

Lisa said...

It's interesting that Fr. Fenelon was the first to use that phrase years ago. I noticed the name of the library; I'd always assumed you were going to the NY Public, but that one looks intriguing! How did you find out about it? Is it well known?

Diana said...

I always love the city photos that you post. I find it so interesting to see where other folks live in our country. I love to see your buildings and the shops and neat little places along your walks. You keep hanging in there, dear Elizabeth! God is always right there with you, keeping you lifted up. Blessings and prayers to you, dear friend!