Wednesday, March 11, 2020

Take It As It Comes


I really don't know what the future holds
but I do know WHO holds the future.
***
So I made a pea soup today for Mr Husband.
2 onions, 2 large carrots, 2 cloves garlic, 2 celery stalks.
I bought whole peas so it took hours before it was ready
to be soup.  He liked it, which was the main thing.
I did not love it, but I just love lentil soup a lot more.
It's really a good soup that I made him.
1 cup yellow, 1 cup green whole peas.
I also roasted a garlic clove (wrap tight in tin foil, cut off the top of the clove
before you do and bake for 400F for 40 minutes), cut some
baguette shaped rolls in half and in half in the middle, 
put coconut oil on and then some roasted garlic.
Toasted them for instant good garlic bread to go with the soup!
Made Mr Husband happy!
I was pretty much standing all day cooking....
***
I think you all know by now that I live very near to NYC
and can see it basically from where I live.
The virus has come there and if it is anything like
it was in other places, it will grow, suddenly; and scare even 
more people; actually NYC is pretty unnerved already, being close
to the second epicenter of it in the US
from all that I can see.
If you follow this at all, you know that in places that it has ballooned, 
of course China, but Italy, Iran, South Korea... it grew fast, 
all of a sudden exploding in numbers.
Is that going to happen here?
NYC of 8.5 million with a huge bedsitter community outside it. 
We don't know.
***
My Husband is working from home, possibly to go in on Friday.
I am supposed to be in NYC on Thursday.
***
I am really doing my best NOT to panic.
Instead I am trying to understand what the best protocol is. 
Should I go in on Thursday?
Some, prone to worry and reading up on the topic
would probably say NO, don't go.
Others, not worried, would say, go.
My doctor so far (yesterday) herself said, go.
***
This is such a strange situation, a type of loneliness 
that means that only I can decide what I should do, in this case. 
***
If I do go, I will go when it's not rush hour.
I will have many plastic gloves to use and then throw away properly.
I will have my germicidal wipes with me.
And I would wash everything when I got back home
(as in my clothes etc.)
I have read enough to know that this is wise.
***
I do know one thing.
I hope to go to church tomorrow night and have
Holy Communion.
This I KNOW is the best thing I can do.

8 comments:

Lesley said...

I think we need to look at these things logically, if you have an underlying health condition then stay away, if you are normally fit and healthy, take sensible precautions such as washing your hands frequently, and carry on with your life as normal. Don't forget in the same period as Corona virus has been in the headlines many more people have died from "ordinary" flu. I live in London UK, have continued with my morning gym visits and am just about to go into the centre for a meeting, I am "older" (62 next week) but fit and healthy so I will go and carry on with what I have to do and not worry.

shoreacres said...

I agree with Leslie. Of course, if I were riding the subway and navigating the crowds of people in Manhattan, I might be less sanguine, but on the other hand, I'm 73 years old. If I were younger, I'd take precautions, and not panic.

elizabeth said...

Hi Lesley! Nice to meet you here! Yes, I know the stats about the flu/c.v. ...
Shoreacres - always good to see you here. I would be taking the PATH train and possibly subways (depends what I would all do). I think my fear is more than I would pass it on to my Husband, who is more like middle 50s and 3 years ago was very ill. One does not forget that.

karen said...

praying for you! We canceled our trip to NYC (supposed to be arriving today) last night. I was given a full refund for broadway tickets and my cancellation fee was waived for the hotel. We can go another time. Around here the universities are going on line and my husband (who is in academia) has to go to meetings to prepare. It is unsettling at how fast the news changes and how fast the recommendations change. You will know whether to go or not by Thursday.

Elizabethd said...

I'm going out as little as possible, and not having lots of people, except Carers, in the house. Just a precaution really as my husband is very vulnerable.
Take care as you travel.

Lisa Richards said...

I saw a video of a man on the quarantined cruise ship who had the virus. He said his temperature spiked to 103 for one night and he had a dry cough. Those were his only symptoms. I don't pretend to know what you should do, but I do think being younger and fairly healthy is a good thing. In other news, my doctor sent me a message online and a letter in the mail requesting that I come in for my annual exam! Really? I don't think I want to hang out at the clinic with sick folks just to get a checkup to see if I'm healthy. Come on, people! :)

Granny Marigold said...

Your pea soup sounds delicious. I like pea soup but only once, as in, not the next day. It's hard to make just enough for 2 people for one meal.

Whether you go to the city or not I know you'll take every precaution. Stay safe.

Nancy said...

Knowing Who holds tomorrow, receiving Holy Communion, and taking necessary precautions are the best things you can do.

God bless you and Mr. Husband!