Thursday, March 26, 2020

A Beautiful Breakfast in Week 3 of the Siege


Yesterday morning I realized that I really really wanted to make that 
bread for breakfast the next day.
I found dried cherries and pecans in our pantry!
I made the dough yesterday and let it sit all day, until this morning.


I have two main sources of anxiety right now.
1. That I will never get groceries delivered again (see picture above)
2.  That my people I love will get this virus and that it will be serious 
(I guess my third is that I or my Husband will get it).






Last night we had groceries.
YES, we even got more TP and paper towel.
Never knew that would feel miraculous. 
So last week I was woken about 2 AM unexpectedly and
ended up checking grocery delivery slots and found one.
A week later, early this morning, 1 AM again, I wake up.
By 1:17 I had secured a grocery slot. 
It was a real blessing. 
If you know about how bad it is getting in NYC right now,
you would understand why, given that we can see NYC within a 5 minute walk,
we really don't want to go to a large grocery store right now.



It is times like these that I constantly need a reboot:
to remember that one candle  burns bright in the darkness. 













This morning's breakfast was really special.
I wrote about it this morning, after breakfast, on social media...
"Happy sunshine filled post coming right up! I woke up realizing I had to get that bread (it was still rising in 2 covered bowls) in the oven for breakfast! So I did! The smell of fresh bread with dried cherries and pecans cannot be oversold :) I set the table with nice blue and white dishes, used my Grandma's silver-plate silverware, juiced a lemon and put in 2 mugs with boiling water and honey, got out cherry jam and my best vegan "butter". And then the bread was done, my Husband prayed for the meal and I sliced that steaming just out of the oven bread for breakfast and we sat down to a feast of fresh bread and mandarin oranges, steaming mugs of fresh lemon and honey and hot tea! I told my Husband that this breakfast, and on a sunny morning, reminded me of Narnia when Mrs Beaver makes a delicious breakfast for her guests. It was a wonderful start to the day and we have enough bread for 4 or 5 more meals!"


It was really quite special and by far the best part of today.
I ended up napping after that (no wonder, with all my broken sleeps of late)
in sunshine on the couch afterwards, which was nice.


 I read the news today on NYC and NJ re: the virus and boy did that make 
my anxiety skyrocket. 
I am really not looking at the news much at all, that was the only time today.



I am drinking SO MUCH tea.  
I am super grateful for our pantry. 
My Husband and I both like to have things well in stock in it.
Like way before this virus stuff hit the fan, it's just what we do.
I talked to my Sweet Husband today about the question of hording,
and how so much is being discussed, so many accusations.
I do understand that there have been crazy situations where 
people have stockpiled in perhaps epic proportions
(I read about 2K in thermometers or all of the store's carrots, etc etc).
In our life, with the times we have been sick and other things,
we have seen that it is best to have a stock of things we need.
And tea, well, I have a love of tea and a lot of that.
And treats, we are given so much at Christmas, plus things I get for lent
(it's rare that we are given vegan treats!)
and other gifts, we have plenty. 
Mr Husband told me that for most of history and much of the world still today,
it is normal to have a pantry (and root cellar which of course we don't have)
and keep a store of things.  It's how people survived the winter.  
You grew your own food and you canned it and prepared it for the winter months.
 Of course we added some things before things got really bad.
And we are using them.
Anyway.  I am thankful for what we have.
I always felt that my pantry was there for if we were in an unexpected
emergency, really, a siege.
And that, I finally realized earlier this week, is the word I had been looking for
to describe what this time is like.
We can take walks, usually about 30 minutes a day.
It's like being in a walled in city that is under siege and you get
30 minutes to walk outside or on the roof of the fort, or something
and the rest of the time you are in your own little home.



And sometimes we walk by views of NYC and I think of how besieged they are
and how we all have to stay home.
Siege.  We are called to be home, where it is safe.






I can't tell you how glad I am that I not only like to cook and bake
but that I know HOW to do so.
That I could bake the bread that, with the morning's sunshine,
and pretty dishes, made the beginning of our day so much better. 
And that the onions and potatoes + onions and mushrooms 
(both with a bit of garlic), that I fried up, 
made our dinner so enjoyable
and we have some for tomorrow's dinner.
And more of the wonderful bread for breakfast.
And that tonight I enjoyed a hot bath
and that the dishwasher is running.
I still, exceptionally, have some more dishes to wash tomorrow,
I try in general to have them done day of because of the whole
siege and needing to provide 3 meals/day.
But I had not blogged in a few days and really missed it.
Sometimes I feel discouraged, so much cleanup and cooking.
But we are revisiting favourites and making new favourites
and truly I have so much to be thankful for.
Including a pantry that I filled with things over the years
that are helping us so much in this time.
God is with is in this.
***
My Husband and I are still tuning in every night at 9:45 for the talk
and 10 PM for the Jesus prayers for the world.
Here was today's talk. 


I wish you all the peace of Christ and that you will be under His mercy
and in His protection! 

8 comments:

Elizabethd said...

Elizabeth, I find it difficult to watch the news too, it is all so frightening. And yet I know we have God to lean on, but I am sometimes very weak.
Your bread looks delicious and I'm sure i could smell it!
My solace is the garden, and this week we are having lovely sunny days so I can get out and do a little work.
Stay safe.

Mary said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Granny Marigold said...

Your special bread looks delicious, as all the food you make does. I love how you take pains to make every meal special. The way you set your table shows the love and caring you have in your heart. I'm afraid I am more haphazard about food, maybe from years of making meals for 7 of us. Quantity vs quality I suppose.
Keep safe and well.

GretchenJoanna said...

Thank you, Elizabeth!! Lord, have mercy. XOXO

Gloria said...

Hello Elizabeth, You have just been voicing what many of us are feeling right now but we know that God's plans for us and for this crazy world we are currently living in are always good. I can almost smell your freshly baked bread! I am sure it's delicious. I might be inspired to do some baking of my own! Stay safe.

Lisa Richards said...

I'm thinking of getting a dehydrator so I can preserve some fruits and veggies and have that sort of thing on hand. I've avoided gardening because canning is such a chore and my freezer is small. I'm going to think of it as a hobby, but I will also be storing up some provisions for emergencies. (Though I hope this type of thing never happens again in my lifetime!) I remember reading a book called "Buffalo Bird Woman's Garden" (I just found another copy.) and I thought it was so clever to grow corn, green beans and squash together and then dry them to have the basis of a nutritious stew. Anyway, it's nice to hone these skills. Glad you're getting groceries okay. Also glad you can get outside and walk. This makes us appreciate all of those little pleasures!

Becki said...

I can only imagine how scary it is to be so close to such a hotspot of the coronavirus. I imagine I'd be wondering if it was in the air, and being a bit afraid of even going outside. Can you take walks where you are? The pictures of the blooms are just beautiful. It's starting to get pretty here, too, but so rainy. In fact, tonight I'm pretty sure the torrential rains we got tore the magnolia blossoms off our just bloomed magnolia tree. It's a small disappointment this year, but I look forward the the glorious scent the flowers on that tree (just outside our living room windows) puts out most springs.

Paula said...

Yes, 'siege' is the perfect word for how it feels. It feels like we are on an island. Everything is fine so long as we don't have to leave the farm. I wish we had a granny flat and could have Mom here and keep her safe too. She's at home, bored and lonely, but safe.