Monday, March 16, 2020

A very busy Monday in unusual times




 I found out this morning that there are more restrictions now
because of the virus.
If you google NYC lockdown you will see that it may be happen and 
we are really near NYC so I know it could happen here too.
So I made hot black tea, had breakfast and called L who is in a nursing home/rehab place
recovering from her fall and subsequent sicknesses.
I could not visit her, I already knew as her building is in total lockdown,
given that the population there are ill and elderly people. 
Over the weekend they were not even allowed out of their rooms.
So I race around the house, finding a 'bookshelf' worth of books for her to read
of all different types, tea, cookies, my fish soup, the blini she liked,
dishes to use in the microwave, dishsoap and a dish cloth I knitted, paper icons,
whatever I could think of.
If we go in lockdown or if the rules change at her place,
I knew that I would have lost my window of opportunity to bring things to her
to help her in this very difficult time.... 


This box was perfect for the books! They can stay neat all in one place, she said the 
person who helped her with the bags I brought her put this right
by her arm chair. I really hope it is a comfort to her.
***
Diana's post with this verse, that I will share here,
was so encouraging, even though things are really tough for her right now.
"For God hath not given us the spirit of fear;
but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind."
2 Timothy 1:7


Jesus can give us calm in the midst of our storms in life.
(I am not sure who painted this above icon/picture but it's beautiful)...
***
I feel like I am just running, running, running.
Making sure we have enough of the meds we need from pharmacies,
I have struggled again with fear of not having 'something' I would want
if in lockdown in the future.
Making food, cleaning... tomorrow I hope to have more rest time,
I can tell that I really need it.
***
Oh, not at all least of what I am writing about, 
Uncle Luke is still with us, he was able to go
with his wife to their home and hospice is helping
take care of him
(for anyone who does not know, hospice is the care you get
when you are dying, it's a very wonderful form of nursing
for those last days).
So we don't know how long he will be with us but 
so glad he is not in hospital now.
***
My priest had to cancel church class and the presanctified liturgy this Wednesday
as he is having some issue with a foot surgery he had before Lent began.
My greatest fear is having church cancelled and not being able to have
Holy Communion (a big deal as we take chapter 6 in the Gospel of John literally).
But I know God is with us not matter what.
***
My dear dear friend A in Romania cannot get her thyroid medicine she needs,
it seems to be out of stock all over Romania because of the virus. 
Please pray.
***
God is with us dear friends.
***
Again, take comfort in this verse:

"For God hath not given us the spirit of fear;
but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind."
2 Timothy 1:7

4 comments:

Granny Marigold said...

How sweet of you to make up a care package for your friend L. I'm sure she'll be so glad to have all the books and other goodies. Keep safe and try not to be too busy!
( Easier said than done).

@irina_sweet_home said...

my mother too needs thyroid medicine :((.

Lisa said...

What a nice thing, Elizabeth!! God will bless you for it.

Lisa Richards said...

I'm glad to hear that your Uncle Luke is at home. That is always the best option if possible.
Your care package was wonderful! I sure would have been blessed to receive it if I were her!
Yes, the Lord would not have us be fearful. He love us so much and is caring for us.
And, yes, if you can't have services the Lord understands. He will meet you where you are.
Try to enjoy the quiet time at home. Keep it simple. :)