Tuesday, August 07, 2018

NYC on a very hot Monday


While I was not able to go to liturgy,
I did prepare a basket of fruit to be blessed,
as my Husband went in my stead today...


A real NYC breakfast....



I was sad to see the closing of what was clearly an institution... 59 years... 
I had never, that I know of, eaten there myself but heard someone on the phone
saying, 'you know the diner we ate at the other day, they just closed'...
***
I re-read L'Engle's the other side of the sun in July and in this book
the narrator tells of a very hot day in Jefferson and how her dress was just 
drenched when she got home...
well my dress was not drenched, but it was not the best thing to wear...
as it has a polyester (I think) liner that was so not the best, though I was 
glad to be wearing a nice outfit...  I have a plan though, of how I can wear it again,
once it's clean again, ... I bought a long (inexpensive, cotton) tank top that will not be seen
under the dress but that would keep the liner from sweat-sticking... worth a try anyway...



So, yep, hi, it's me, the I have a problem buying pretty dishes.  Yep. 
TJ MAXX had these *made in England* Spode dishes and this is what I brought home!
I am thinking quite seriously about letting one of my blue and white sets go, 
though I am not sure how/if I will or if there was someone I coit is uld give the set to
(it's really not much of a set as I only have 2 bowls)...  of course I could keep the bowls... 
did I mention that I esp love bowls? 
***
So, last Friday I split on my favourite pretty blue dressy cotton tee...
as we had guests over, I quickly changed, rinsed it with some soap and put it on the 
tiled-laundry-room floor... where it sat sadly until tonight.
and somehow either the soap or some bleach got involved and there are 
white spots (and it seems grease spots) on it now :(
A big Thank You God moment when I realized that the store I ordered it from
still had that colour in stock in my size (one of the only colours left) and I bought it 
tonight and also, I admit, found an on-sale jean jacket that looks to be 
what I have been looking for for years and never found 
and I do hope it fits me well...  
I've been wanting one for probably at least 10 years....
***
Well, it is way past my bedtime, so I better get on to this.
I was at church tonight as well... my sense of time
and the desire to get things done/organized/put away kept me up later tonight.
Tomorrow I hope to have a day at home and to enjoy and rest.
I have begun another Miss Read book and am so looking forward to reading more of it!

5 comments:

Tracy said...


How sad about the diner. It's sad when diners close... when home-away-from-home places close. I miss diners. We don't have them here, sadly. I miss a place to go out for breakfast on weekends. Breakfast out is not a custom here, no such things. Crazy, huh? ;) haha... Oh, but how LOVELY those blue plates, and love that pattern! Spode always has offered such beautiful things. And so good you were able to get a replacement for your pretty blue tee, and a jean jacket too. Last year I finally was able to find a jean jacket too--it felt what winning the lotter must feel like! ;) Wishing you a BLESSED week, my friend ((HUGS))

Paula said...

My good dishes are blue and white Wedgwood Romantic England (https://www.replacements.com/webquote/ww_roe.htm?rplSrc=KX&rplSubEvent=7265599&dvc=c&gclid=CjwKCAjwhqXbBRAREiwAucoo-8XFLQBuY-gfog59kTmEqqdfvYkWnolfRY88DGnc3_sA-ZxGkBLEyRoCX0AQAvD_BwE). I was lucky to be gifted a similar blue and white bowl from a church friend (Johnson Bros. I think).

Lisa Richards said...

That NYC breakfast looks SO GOOD! I've been downsizing on possessions in recent years. I finally gave up my old dishes, which were hand-me-downs from a son who moved away. I'm now purchasing some cute Pioneer Woman dishes, a few at a time until I have a four place setting. I don't imagine I'll be doing a lot of entertaining. :)
Stay cool if you can!

GretchenJoanna said...

I love dishes, too, and have way more than I will ever need, but always want them... I had a friend, a grandma and farmer, who lived in a three-story house on a hill, with sheep and ducks in a very steep muddy yard... anyway, she had kitchens and dining rooms on at least two of the floors of the house, and lots of storage for dishes. She often would buy a whole new set of dishes for the holidays! I wonder if she gave her excess to her daughters and nieces when the cupboards were overflowing.

Lisa said...

Wearing a cotton layer underneath the poly might help, but it's still going to be another layer. I would say stick to cotton and linen on hot days, even with wrinkles!