Tuesday, August 26, 2014

{Our time in PEI} ~ Gran's Haven ~ Our Blue Bedroom




Lovely wall paper, a sleigh bed, lace and wood floors.



 Dolls and period lamps...


A beautiful face of a time gone by.
*
I kept thinking when I was in PEI:
this bedroom is very adequate in the sense of
a British home where all is there
but all is essential. 
*
I found myself wishing to use the pitcher and bowl for washing
one's face and I did enjoy some time reading books
in this room; including the forward to Lewis' 
A Grief Observed by Madeleine L'Engle that a new but
did not feel new to me friend at the wedding said
is the main thing she remembers reading of Lewis' book.
*
It seemed somehow though appropriate,
that one reads of marriages that lasted till death parted them
on that weekend of my dear friend S. wedding
where so many gathered to celebrate the joining of 
a couple in Holy Matrimony, that creating a unity of one 
from two lives;
weddings are like a birth and marriage is a 
long fulfillment and working out of that birth. 

6 comments:

Paula said...

Nice bedroom. What a great wallpaper job! Our bedroom ceiling is like that so we didn't paper there. Looks like you had such a good time down East.

Matushka Anna said...

Beautiful bedroom! I too like a bedroom to have just the essentials (although you'd never know it looking at my bedroom...)

Have you read "Two Part Invention" by L'Engle? If not, I think you would really enjoy it.

Reinventing Mother said...

Just lovely!

Elizabeth @ The Garden Window said...

That room is exquisite <3

Lisa said...

A very pleasant room indeed! I know what you mean about the pitcher and bowl - a few years ago a co-worker brought in a bowl and pitcher and I snatched it up! She was redecorating. I love it, and it looks nice on my bookcase. Such an old-fashioned thing.

elizabeth said...

yes, it really was a lovely room!

Mat Anna ~ I have read L'Engle's two part invention but gave my copy away years ago... I am meaning to get a new one at some point (actually I want a first ed it truth be told!)

Lisa ~ yes, they are just lovely. Seriously I would use it!!! :)))