Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Dutch Apple Cake

When I was baking the
Apple Cake and pulling out
my recipe for card for it,
I also found my Aunt H.'s recipe for
Dutch Apple Cake,
which she gave me at my family bridal shower
back two summers ago.
It called for only 1 cup of apples chopped so
I took a really big apple,
peeled and chopped it and found it at two cups.



Well, with two cups of apple
this means that I can make two apple cake loaves!
So I did!

Here's the recipe:

Dutch Apple Cake

1/2 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup chopped Apples
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon. baking powder
1/2 teaspoon. salt
1 1/2 tablespoon milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup nutmeats (I left this out)

Topping:

1 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon

{I doubled everything to make two loaves}

Instructions:

Cream shortening and sugar; add eggs and beat.
Add chopped apples, flour, baking power and salt.
Stir in milk, vanilla and nuts (nuts optional).
(Plus 1 teaspoon orange extract, optional).
Pour batter into greased loaf pan.
Top with sugar and cinnamon mixture.
Bake at 350 degrees F or until bread tests done.
Enjoy!

~Aunt H. 


I had to bake it at 350 for about 20 minutes longer
than the recipe called for...
so doing a test to be sure the bread is done
(I use a toothpick to see if it is still wet with batter
or pulls out dry)
is a really good idea for this recipe.
 
It was fun and easy to make!
Mr. Husband and I are planning on enjoying this
for dessert after dinner with tea!

No comments: