Monday, August 16, 2010

Quiet

This candle is a gift
from a friend
made the by Greek monastery that
I have gone to over the past year.
*
Candles are such a wonderful testament of the hope that we
have because of God's existence in the world.
*
I am slowly working on writing more
about my time at the monastery
(I am still planning to go once more before I leave)
but know also that monasteries
are a place where things happen that are really
not fully explainable...
I was glad for this very good and deeply comforting post
by Fr. Stephen that speaks of this work of God
in our lives-
*
I am hoping to sell a bunch of my books while I am home
books that I have not moved from this place
since they came here in 2004.
I am slowly learning to let things go
and that it okay to give away things that have
memories of my life journey attached to them.
I don't know if I will get much money for them
but hope it is at least enough
to buy one or maybe two books
at the monastery.
*
One of the things that I love about monasteries is that you can
buy books and icons there.
The icons, even the mounted ones, are made by
them and made with prayer.
The books can instruct and feed us.
The prayers of the monastics can heal us,
can bring closer our salvation.
*
God is good to us.

4 comments:

Elizabeth @ The Garden Window said...

I hope you manage to get to the monastery again before you leave ! Good to hear that all is well with you.

Juliana said...

God is indeed good! I will be visiting a monastery for the first time in October and I am really looking forward to it. I would love to read more about your time at the monastery. Praying for your job situation, dear Elizabeth!

margaret said...

Buying books in a monastery bookshop is good. All that stops me going crazy in Essex is the knowledge that I to haul it all over the railway bridge in Peterborough on the way home.

When I moved I threw out a lot of sentimental stuff I never thought I could. Memories are in the heart and when people are gone all that matters is that we pray, not that we keep 'stuff'.

elizabeth said...

Thank you Elizabeth... Juliana, thanks for your prayers for the job situation; that means a lot to me

M - yep. it is especially important for us to realize the difference between stuff and memories; though some things are important too; but yes. we have to let some of it go.