Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Details of a Wednesday

Above are flowers from the monastery this past weekend.

A lovely Romanian man was given them from

where they adorned the large icon

of the Dormition of the Theotokos.

I sold about 65 of my books today.

It was a new experience to let go of books

that had with me for

some years.

*

I just had to keep reminding myself

that though I have given away the books that remind me

of how God has worked in my life

and that He is bringing me deeper in

where He seeks to lead me.

*

The books were merely part of that journey

and that God is here with me now

and has given me a new chapter in my life,

where and what I need to go towards.

*

Am reading more of The Jesus Prayer

by Frederica Mathewes-Green

and am really appreciating this book.

*

I can't recommend this book enough...

I was at a small lake with family tonight.
*
Had tea and lunch at an Aunt's house.
**

I treasure these days and feel strongly that they are fleeting.
***
We must pray for those we love and for God's mercy
and salvation.
*
How much we are in need of God's mercy.

4 comments:

Peacocks and Sunflowers said...

So glad to hear you're having a good visit home, and that the job search continues. Bon courage! It sounds as though you are going about it the right way, treating it as a job in itself and above all making each application individual. I came across this just now and thought of your eloquent honesty about moments of discouragement, and remembering to turn to God in those times: http://acathistes-et-offices-orthodoxes.blogspot.com/2009/05/priere-dans-le-decouragement.html I'd never seen this icon before - just the kind of thing I should have near me constantly...
Giving up books is hard. Good for you! On to new chapters.

DebD said...

lovely flowers...what a sweet gift. I've heard good things about the Jesus Prayer book by FMG.

Mimi said...

What a beautiful photo of the books. I really try to keep my books to a small amount - can I see rereading them? Or, will I use it as a reference? Or, is there a strong sentimental attaachment?

If the answer is no, out they go!

Janelle thegeekywife said...

:)

Glad you were able to sell 65 books! One to the next chapter and verse.

I'm also glad you are enjoying FMG's book. There is much to be said for reading encouraging and edifying words by laity.