Friday, June 05, 2020

To Restore




I told my Husband that I needed to be cosseted.
When I told my Mom she was not sure what that word meant.
What I knew it to be was the sense of being cared for in a very
intentional way.  On looking it up, it can mean to be
'over-indulged' or 'pampered' 
which, esp the first one, is not exactly what I meant.
Basically, I know myself well enough to know
when I am getting drained, depleted and generally run down.
Years ago I ignored that to my peril:
I ended up getting mono for 6 months and was
out of commission entirely.
The pandemic and personal unbloggable things that I 
needed to face have left me, even though
I have been able to take good walks etc, feeling depleted
and run down.  So this weekend
I am going to rest to replenish my reserves.
DV we are getting take out from a restaurant and I am going to 
do some "serious resting" for the weekend.
I know if I take care of myself now,
I will feel much better soon.
  To me this is part of being an adult; taking care of yourself
so you don't get sick.  It's a blessing to be able to rest,
at least for a day and I know it is a blessed thing to do,
as even our Lord Jesus at times withdrew from the crowds
for a prayer-filled rest.

7 comments:

Granny Marigold said...

Definitely take care of yourself and do what you need to do to feel better. It's really the only sensible thing to do although many don't and the wonder why they feel worse. Incidentally, I know exactly what you mean by 'cossetted'.

Elizabethd said...

How sensible you are, Elizabeth.
Cossetted is a very good word and to me just means an extra special sense of being cherished and looked after.

Becki said...

It is a very good thing to recognize when one is needing a rest. And the rest is sweet then - as opposed to when we're forced to rest because we've overdone and hurt ourselves in the process. I don't know if I've ever heard the word cossetted, but I especially like Elizabethd's definition above. :)

Paula said...

Lots of prayers for you my friend. The riots on the news and the continued 'sheltering' is really starting to wear on Ella. She actually had a nap yesterday -she doesn't even nap when she's sick. I really worry about her some days.

I know Mr. Husband will take good care of you. Love!

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

Rest is a beautiful thing. And very necessary. I pray you will be refreshed and renewed as you take good care of yourself. God's peace!

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

Hello, me again. Just saw this on the Glory to God for All Things Blog (Fr. Stephen Freeman) and copy it here for you. Though it speaks of our treatment of others it could also be applied to oneself, I think. I hope it is helpful/inspiring:

You cannot be too gentle, too kind.
Shun even to appear harsh in your treatment of each other.
Joy, radiant joy, streams from the face of him who gives and kindles joy in the heart of him who receives.
All condemnation is from the devil. Never condemn each other…
Instead of condemning others, strive to reach inner peace.
Keep silent, refrain from judgment.
This will raise you above the deadly arrows of slander, insult, and outrage
and will shield your glowing hearts against all evil.

St. Seraphim of Sarov

Lisa Richards said...

Take good care of yourself, and I know your hubby will help with that. :)
I've gotten some good news of God's provision for my son Josh and his family, so that has been a real blessing, and removed a weight from my heart. Prayer works and God fills needs we didn't even know another person has!
God is good! Rest well! :)