Tuesday, December 17, 2019

A wonderful Christmas book! ~ The History of Christmas: 2,000 Years of Faith, Fable and Festivity



Heather's wonderful book on Christmas, 
came out this year!  I was given a copy to enjoy and give an honest review of it!
I had reviewed it on social media but never put my review here,
so I am doing so now!  






This book on the History of Christmas is wonderful! You learn a lot about the different era's of the Christian church and how Christmas is celebrated in the past 2000 years! Heather did a lot of research and includes fun lists of ideas of how to celebrate Christmas, do Christmas crafts and make delicious food from different eras and it is really beautifully illustrated! 

See @heather_winslow_lefebvre wonderful Instagram page and also you can get this book via Amazon! I'm sure Heather can tell you other places to get it as well! It's a wonderful gift and would be perfect for your Christmas this year! 



Heather's book, The History of Christmas: 2000 years of Faith, Fable and Festivity has beautifully illustrated pages that begin with a fictional story that draws the reader (or listener!) into the time of Christmas from various centuries.  It traces Christmas from the beginning of Christ's birth, to St Boniface, St Francis Assisi, to London England in 1066, to the early days of the USA and on to current times.  Each chapter has a story, an engaging discussion of Christmas in that place and time, interesting discussion questions and a page with a list of ways to do things at Christmas time like they would in the time period discussed.  I can see this book being enjoyed by many!  Heather is a God-loving Protestant so the book is written from this perspective but with a respect for the wider Christian tradition as well.  I learned a lot and enjoyed her book very much!  I can see this book enriching family Christmas time in both the stories and the ideas to practice Christmas from various eras.  It's a inspiring book in terms of creativity and also pondering what Christmas really is all about.




9 comments:

Granny Marigold said...

That sounds like a lovely book to get out at this time of the year every year!

Nancy said...

This book sounds very interesting! Even though we do very little Christmas celebrations these days I would still like to read this book. It will have to be added to my wish list.

Lisa said...

It certainly has an appealing cover, doesn't it? Maybe I'll get it. Her instagram page is very nice, too.
Gretchen has an interesting post from last Wednesday (the 11th) about why we celebrate the birth of Christ on December 25th.

Heather LeFebvre said...

Thank you Elizabeth! I’m so glad you enjoyed it!

Unknown said...

That book looks interesting. On your recommendation i've ordered 3 as presents xx

Becki said...

It is a beautiful book. And does sound interesting. And I've noticed something else before, but haven't commented... that child's artwork on the table is very sweet. You've possibly explained its origins before and I've missed it, but I'm thinking its creator must be very special to you. I think it's a lovely, sweet Christmas item. :)

Becki said...

I wanted to let you know... in reading more and watching an interview of the author I learned she is (more or less) local to me! She's in Indianapolis - we're just a little south of Indy. I became so interested I ordered a book and should receive it tomorrow! :) I'm so looking forward to reading through it. Thank you for sharing about it, Elizabeth.

Cheryl said...

It does sound like a wonderful, festive read. I love learning about the different traditions and ways to celebrate. I hope you continue to enjoy it.

elizabeth said...

thanks everyone! it really is a lovely book! I am happy for those who were able to purchase one! :) God bless you all!