Monday, August 14, 2017

When asked why I am alive, I thought about it and wrote this



Been thinking about this one. I think there are various levels.

1. To live and die (as) a Christian; faithful to Christ, the Church, fasts, feasts, sacraments of confession, Eucharist.... 

2. To create a place of beauty and refuge, a haven, in a troubled world. That's always been my desire. When I was young though I was not aware that I also needed a place of beauty and refuge that would heal me. Ultimately this is found only with Christ and in His Church; but in small ways our homes can be 'little home churches' and also places of beauty and order that can give rest. I have not achieved this yet as my Husband can attest (I have house clutter etc) but this is really a big part of what I feel I can actually do in my life.

 3. In small (and imperfect ways) point to the HOPE that there really ARE places of hope, beauty, dignity and rest and that with Christ we really can be saved; that in the midst of all the trouble, there can be those places that can heal, restore and give rest to a very weary and troubled world. 

4. This (#3) can be done through books and even some movies (at least in the past) ... Elizabeth Goudge books are big in this (rest, refuge, beauty, hope, Christ) but I know even of a movie like the Sound of Music has given to one I knew a dream and vision of a life that was so much better than the one she knew.

3 comments:

Helensmum said...

Much to ponder,sensitively written.
Warm wishes,
Ann Marie

Tracy said...

BEAUTIFUL and wonderful expressed, Elizabeth! I feel very much the same way! I'm God's daughter and Christ's friend, and am here to serve them and bring them glory. In my home, among my family, and church-family, and elsewhere I'm meant to bring His love, peace and mercy to others. That is why I am alive. My home is a haven where love dwells, and where I refresh others, but where I too am refreshed. To think of these things daily, and pray on them... How much we can do, with His grace and guidance! :) Thank you for sharing this today!! ((HUGS))

Lisa Richards said...

Good thoughts! Thank you for putting them into words. I'm so thankful to have a little home to share to bring refreshment to my family and others. :)