Tuesday, August 31, 2021

NYC, a Feast Day, Then Sunday through Tuesday












This meme is so funny; one of those if you know, you know.

[started on Friday August 27]

I wrote this earlier today about my day in NYC

Happy Feast day!  So... Yesterday in NYC went really well.  Doing anything that I used to take for granted for the first time is profoundly euphoric for me.  Taking the subway was like that.  I felt really happy.  It was not as crowd as pre-you-know-what and I was double masked on the subway but just being there and doing something I loved was really special.  And another first was that I went to the MET LIBRARY.  It's different as it is a library that you can't browse yourself.  You look up the books and request them in advance and they have them there for you to use in the library.  The other cool thing? It's about 2 or so blocks from the private/subscription library that I belong to.  I went there afterwards 🙂  And did research. It was like both wonderfully normal and excitingly new.  In such times as these, I was doubly greatful. ❤

[Monday August 30, 2021] 

I went to the pool this morning. A very dear thing is that I got to talk to one of the former life gaurds at the pool about his new (first professional just out of college) job on the phone.  That made me super happy :) 

So I read a lot of books recently and more to come.  

If you want an incredible, beautiful, full of love yet also with grief novel, I can highly recommend The Lightkeeper by Sherry Shenoda ... it's a facinating plot in that the time frame is both circular and linear as the Lightkeeper goes in and out of time.  It's well done and it's power grows as the novel goes on... It was so beautiful and I was weeping when I got to the end, which is rare for me.  So it's a powerful book, I am working on a review of it to put on IG but for now, take it from me, it is worth getting.   

***

I wrote this up on it so far (not my offical review) :

I am working on a more offical review of this incredibly beautiful, well-written novel for my Instagram page but wanted to tell you about it quickly!  I was sobbing when I finished reading it; it was so beautiful and powerful.  I actually don't know if any other novel made me weep like that.  So it's beautiful, the love and grief that are so poingantly intertwined, is powerful, visceral, beautiful.  It's also cool mathmatically by which I mean it is both a plot that is linear in time and circular in time.  Yet the circle, in ways, is finite but yet complete within itself... (I actually wonder if it could be compared to a modius strip which is a circle with a half twist in it; I am still reading up on this since this math is not something I know by rote).  The Lightkeeper goes in and out of time yet at the very beginning of the novel, her experience of time, people and even weight changes and begins the most beautiful poingant-with-meaning time of her very long life.   I found I was still thinking about it a few days later, as I did my morning swim and was telling one of my lifeguard friend about it...

***

So I hope to go back to the MET Thursday afternoon (eye doc appt).  That would be great!

Today, Monday, has been a great day but not one that I directly got much done on my writing. But I was writing things.  Like messages for my google account if I die and I need to grant access to a trusted few.  Whew, talk about a bit emotionally draining to write.  I am still working on it (the messages are written).  BTW go HERE to do this too (it's so if your google/gmail account is inactive for 3 months and you did not reply to their messages, they grant access to the ones you have specified).  

[August 31, 2021, Tuesday]

My Husband and I hope to go to a rummage sale (masks required etc) and I began a list for things to look for.  First item I put on the list was: 

1. Bright (pink, yellow, blue, purple, orange gold) salad plates 

Husband's comment on this was: 

What mean things have I done to you lately?

I laughed for a good minute 🙂  

To clarify I want white salad plates with flowers that are brighter colours... 🙂

Like this:


My Husband was relieved, LOL :) ... We will see if we can go to this sale and what I find :) It's not for over a month in time... 

It is evening now.  I still have to take the dishes OUT of the dishwasher so I can put the new ones in (new plan started today: pretreat the dishes right away so I don't have a dirty mess of dishes at the end of the day. 

I accomplished a research mini-milestone: I finished Part 1 of Godel Escher Bach which is about 742 pages total.  I am about 40% done with the book now, and it has a lot of math (the formulas I don't try to fully understand as that is not why I am reading the book; I am reading to book to see what Hofsteader is thinking about the math, about Godel (a math guy), Escher (artist) and Bach (muscian).  Hofsteader is combining his understanding of Zen with those 3 (Godel being the key) so I am learning a lot of different things.  At the same time I am reading more by the learned Elder Sophrony (who the Orthodox church now has Sainted) who had a veiw of the world that spoke directly to the differences between Christainity and Zen so it's been facinating to see the differences and realize even more about my own faith.  And I am learning a lot about math.  I really love it.  

I loved that I swam today, that today was grocery delivery day and I am planning a Sunday dinner meal for 8 of us (including myself and Husband) which is the biggest gathering I will have done since lockdown IF everyone can come, which is yet TBD.  

Well, that's all she wrote.  Or all I have time for.  Those dishes.  Well, we will see.  God bless and keep you, make His face shine upon you... 

No comments: