Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Vegetarian Chili!

Finally, 
after the business of the first week of Lent,
I was able to look over the weekend at cookbooks
and found that my trusty food for paradise
had a simple recipe for chili!


This cookbook has saved the day more than once!


Above is the recipe;
I did make a few small changes to it...


Two large onions chopped... 


One Zucchini 
(which was called green squash at the grocery store,
so funny!)


I used two small celery stalks.


Three cloves garlic.


4 medium carrots, chopped and boiled till
fairly soft; I did not know what parboiled meant
so I cooked them a little longer than I should have.
*
{I was convicted yesterday that I am online too much
so I had made this meal with my computer, tablet and smart phone
either off or for the phone, disabled from data and wifi...
let's just say I could not of made this chili,
and the GF corn bread and rice in time for
lunch before noon so that I could eat it before
tonight's presanctified liturgy if I had
gone online to look up parboiled...
(Orthodox Christians, FYI, if we have Holy Communion either fast from
midnight on for a morning liturgy or from noon on for an 
evening presanctified liturgy).}


Sorry for the non-rotated picture;
I can't get picasa to work for me for
the last months but wanted to show that
I used a can of organic stewed tomatoes... 


2 cans kidney beans, 1 can organic corn
(that I had gotten on sale!)


1 zucchini sliced.


Carrots peeled, sliced and rinsed.
*
Soften the onion, celery and garlic in
oil first.
(I used canola, coconut could also be used
I am sure).
Parboil the carrots.
Then add carrots to above mix 
with spices of your choice 
{I used chili powder, lots of cumin, salt, pepper, 
a few red pepper flakes}.
Then add all the other prepared vegetables,
kidney beans and 1 can tomato.
Add 1 tbsp flour; (I used Gluten Free All Purpose flour).
Mix well.
Heat on low for about 20-30 minutes.


It was a very good and colourful chili! 


Mr. Husband and I enjoyed it for lunch today!


I also made GF corn bread that
I hope to blog about this week
and some rice.
We had salad to complete the meal!

4 comments:

Lisa said...

That looks very tasty, Elizabeth.

Peacocks and Sunflowers said...

Yum! so colourful. Sounds very tasty and healthy. I have finally started investigating a new-to-me cookbook as well, with lots of delicious looking and hearty veggie and vegan recipes - Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's Veg Every Day. I look forward to hearing about your adventures in GF baking!

Matushka Anna said...

What a lovely lunch! You always set such a nice table. :)

Apseed said...

I will save this recipe for the future when my baby will not be so sensitive to tomatoes.
Thanks for sharing!