Sunday, January 31, 2010

Three Things ... Sunday Evening

We've had some sunshine on and off

the last few weeks.

I was so taken by the fact that the sun is not already set

when I walk to church for vespers

that I stopped and took a picture.

I love the golden-ness of the setting sun.

I made the beef stew for last week;

super easy recipe:

can of tomato soup, can of water

beef chunks (sorry to all those vegetarians)

carrots potatoes

caramelized onion

salt and pepper.

It was great and lovely

for the fast free week.

(I am sure I am not the only one that has a hard time

preparing two type of meals with a Wednesday

as a fast day;

I always find meal planning in this regard

difficult!)

My Oma is 101 years of age this year.
She is slowing down
though still doing really well considering her age;
she is mentally fully present
and can still walk short distances.
I am working on a photograph project
of all the things she has made for her grand kids
and that I was the lucky recipient of.
The socks and slippers are
one example of her knitting.
My idea is to make a mini little book of pictures
and mail it to her
with a picture of her and myself as well
as a surprise Thank You and I Love You card.
So often I have been well meaning but not following through on
showing her my love
so I hope to actually do this.
Meanwhile I did get a card in the mail this week to her,
which I am grateful that I was able to do.
I am blessed to have her in my life;
My Mom told me how she can remember when she was a kid
that my Oma (her Mom) would be washing floors while
singing the Psalms in Dutch
which she knew by heart.
She would always counsel me to always pray to God,
read my Bible and go to church
and love my family.
She is such a strong example of a Mother, Grandmother, Great Grandmother and
given her age
even
Great Great Grandmother.
I wish I could see her more
but am glad I can at least send cards her way.
I am so blessed!
***
On a different note,
I have a quiz in my French class tomorrow,
prayers requested!

8 comments:

Anastasia Theodoridis said...

Prayers for you, and love to your Oma. She sounds like an incredible woman. Well, having reached 101 means she definitely IS an incredible woman, already, before we say anything else about her!

Elizabeth @ The Garden Window said...

Prayers for you and your dear Oma :-)
God bless you both !

RW said...

good luck on the test.
I am glad you have seen the sun.

margaret said...

I can feel how warm those socks are!

Meadowlark Days said...

Your Oma sounds very amazing!

elizabeth said...

Thank you so much everyone! Yes, I am so blessed to have such an Oma!!

Kassianni said...

that soup looks so good! I'm definitely trying it.

Pres. Kathy said...

Hope you are doing well. I just love the fact that you walk to vespers.