Thursday, January 21, 2010

I am doing homework, really...

Lighting my lampada in the morning makes a huge difference

in how the day begins!

I knew yesterday that I could not study as hard today.

But this day started out better...

the first days are always hard when beginning a new endeavour...

New people (fellow students, teacher)

New place (wow is the college big)

New bus route (not bad and going home always seems to come quickly)

Same (since late November) apartment though!

Whew for home and for a familiar downtown that I love.

I don't know if I have ever loved living somewhere as much

as I love downtown Ottawa...

I am SO THANKFUL that I still live downtown...

Another Cleo picture.

Cleo is happy to have such a following with some very lovely humans.

I often have to kick her off my chair so that I can blog!

Previous dinner picture.
I miss my social life, but am probably going to a potluck tomorrow.
Studying is hard. I have more than 500 flashcards
already. Etc.
***
Today we had SUNSHINE.
I feel SO HAPPY in winter in Ottawa in sunshine.
I tell you snow blue sky and seeing skaters on the canal
and I am happy.
Much happier than in summer, to the shock of many
who shiver through winter dreaming of summer!
***
My dishes (I got backlogged due to feeling rotten last weekend)
are almost done.
I have been listening to French CBC while doing them,
so it is almost not procrastination!
***
Today my class was a bit lighter in amount of new things.
I think the teacher knew he needed to give us a little break.
Not that I do not have pages of extra exercises that I will do
in a do-it-to-practice but it is not required
book.
Really helpful.
Wow. Lots to do but with God's help,
the prayers of many (I thank God for each prayer)
and personal elbow grease,
I can do it, day by day.
***
Okay.
Time for dinner, French flashcards.
***
QUESTION for you:
Next week for Orthodox Christians is fast-free week. I have some beef chunks in the freezer.
Any suggestions for a simple way to use them?
I am thinking some sort of stew or goulash.
Also:
Any suggestions for a super fast base for soup for lent?
I am swapping soup recipes with a lovely lady at
my local bakery -
she is going to give me a lentil and bean soup recipes
and I am giving her a quick and easy borscht recipe (without the cabbage).
But a simple base for soups I still need.
Key word: simple and fast.
Please share your culinary wisdom with me!!
Merci!!
Bonne soiree!
(Thank you, have a good evening!)

11 comments:

mamajuliana said...

I am glad to hear that you had a lighter in French class!

I often thought that living in a city would be nice...downtown within walking distance and public transportation. We live in a city of about 50,000, but none of the big city ambiance.

I am not much help in the fasting recipe department-still learning...

Hope your tomorrow goes well too!

E Helena E said...

Your post makes me very happy!
God is so good to us and you are loved. Yes, am enjoying these invigourating winter days also.

RW said...

sounds like you are finding your way.

we don't do a lot of soup here during lent.... nobody likes the clear broth .... despite how many interesting veggies found in it.

MamaBirdEmma said...

LOVE the color of the wall behind your icons! My husband (who is a priest) lights the lampadas in our home each evening before the children go to sleep. He was away last night, so I had to and our daughter said, "But Mama! You are not a priest!" LOL!

Maureen E said...

If you save up onion skins and extra bits of vegetable for a few days (store them in a covered container in the fridge) and then put them in a pot, cover them with water, and boil for about 20-30 minutes, you should end up with a nice stock. Just don't put too many root or celery-type vegetables in--they can overpower it.

elizabeth said...

thanks everyone for your comments!

Mat. Emily, that is so sweet! lampadas are such a blessing.

elizabeth said...

thanks Maureen... I will have to try this... what veggies do you use? I am guessing carrots? what else??

Mimi said...

I'm so glad to hear it is going well, and listening to the French CBC whilst doing dishes is brilliant!

And, as a vegetarian, I have no idea, sorry. Perhaps in a meat pie?

Maureen E said...

I usually use a lot of onion and garlic skins because I've found they give the stock a really nice flavor, and then balance them out with carrots or tomatoes or bell peppers (if you like those). I try to stay away from cabbage or broccoli because those are stronger flavored. Really, just about any vegetables that you need to use up work!

Alana said...

What a gorgeous table! Love the dishes and table cloth. Wow!

Pres. Kathy said...

I am glad everything is going better! I know that when our lambatha is lit, I feel so much better and at peace.