Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Vegetarian Chili!

after the business of the first week of Lent,
I was able to look over the weekend at cookbooks
and found that my trusty food for paradise
had a simple recipe for chili!

This cookbook has saved the day more than once!

Above is the recipe;
I did make a few small changes to it...

Two large onions chopped... 

One Zucchini 
(which was called green squash at the grocery store,
so funny!)

I used two small celery stalks.

Three cloves garlic.

4 medium carrots, chopped and boiled till
fairly soft; I did not know what parboiled meant
so I cooked them a little longer than I should have.
{I was convicted yesterday that I am online too much
so I had made this meal with my computer, tablet and smart phone
either off or for the phone, disabled from data and wifi...
let's just say I could not of made this chili,
and the GF corn bread and rice in time for
lunch before noon so that I could eat it before
tonight's presanctified liturgy if I had
gone online to look up parboiled...
(Orthodox Christians, FYI, if we have Holy Communion either fast from
midnight on for a morning liturgy or from noon on for an 
evening presanctified liturgy).}

Sorry for the non-rotated picture;
I can't get picasa to work for me for
the last months but wanted to show that
I used a can of organic stewed tomatoes... 

2 cans kidney beans, 1 can organic corn
(that I had gotten on sale!)

1 zucchini sliced.

Carrots peeled, sliced and rinsed.
Soften the onion, celery and garlic in
oil first.
(I used canola, coconut could also be used
I am sure).
Parboil the carrots.
Then add carrots to above mix 
with spices of your choice 
{I used chili powder, lots of cumin, salt, pepper, 
a few red pepper flakes}.
Then add all the other prepared vegetables,
kidney beans and 1 can tomato.
Add 1 tbsp flour; (I used Gluten Free All Purpose flour).
Mix well.
Heat on low for about 20-30 minutes.

It was a very good and colourful chili! 

Mr. Husband and I enjoyed it for lunch today!

I also made GF corn bread that
I hope to blog about this week
and some rice.
We had salad to complete the meal!


Lisa said...

That looks very tasty, Elizabeth.

Anna said...

Yum! so colourful. Sounds very tasty and healthy. I have finally started investigating a new-to-me cookbook as well, with lots of delicious looking and hearty veggie and vegan recipes - Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's Veg Every Day. I look forward to hearing about your adventures in GF baking!

Matushka Anna said...

What a lovely lunch! You always set such a nice table. :)

Apseed I said...

I will save this recipe for the future when my baby will not be so sensitive to tomatoes.
Thanks for sharing!