Thursday, February 27, 2020

Nearing Great Lent + reflections on fear when the world is panicking




Well.  Time is just going by!
I feel like I can barely remember what I did on Monday!
Yesterday I went to Trader Joe's for a few things, 
tomorrow I get groceries delivered for a special meal
 on Friday evening and Sunday evening.
My Husband decided he wanted to stock up on some things so we went
grocery shopping this afternoon.
My, let's just say we had 2 carts AND I got things at another store as well.
We are both aware of the virus going around now in Europe (Italy), South Korea,
 a bit here, a bit in Canada,
a lot in China and how the world is reacting to it
and is scared scared scared. 
I think the fear is on many levels.
From my reading of it, it's a few things.
First and ultimately, it is the fear of dying and of suffering.
For oneself, one's family and friends.
Second, it is the fear of being stuck in a place where you have to stay home
and the panic of a city all raiding the stores for every last thing. 
We saw that with Hurricane Sandy.
Third, it is the fear of the unknown and how long this will last
and when the fear about it will end. 
Forth, of being alone in a hard situation.  
Sorry to talk about fear, but if I name it I understand it more.
What is difficult in all of the news is that they don't know how to address a lot
of the basic fears.  
Lord have mercy this world needs Christ! Christ's love, Christ's light, the saving truth
that is found in the life, death and resurrection of Christ. 
And this world surely needs Psalm 23, the Psalm of the Good Shepherd. 
Last, we all need the basic prayer to Christ:
Lord Jesus Christ have mercy on me. 
***
That is first and can help calm panic and fear.
It can remind people that right now wherever they are no matter what
God is with them, God can comfort them and provide for them.
God can help them face whatever today holds.
***
Great Lent begins for us on Monday.
For many it begins tomorrow.
May God bless us and protect us
and bring is ever closer to Himself! 
***
And may this Psalm always comfort us 

The Lord is my shepherd;
I shall not want.
2 He makes me to lie down in green pastures;
He leads me beside the still waters.
3 He restores my soul;
He leads me in the paths of righteousness
For His name’s sake.

4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil;
For You are with me;
Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.

5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;
You anoint my head with oil;
My cup runs over.
6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
All the days of my life;
And I will dwell in the house of the Lord
Forever.

7 comments:

Elizabethd said...

That is a psalm that we often return to, so calming and reassuring.

R's Rue said...

I love that psalm. Blessings friend.
www.rsrue.blogspot.com

Lisa Richards said...

Amen. Jesus is the only One we can depend on no matter what happens in this temporal world. Whatever we may see with our eyes, He is always with us. He spent a lot of time telling us not to fear. I keep reminding myself of that! :) Hugs!

Becki said...

I haven't seen much evidence of fear in my neck of the woods, but living near a big city, I'm expecting our community and families may be touched by this (even if tangentially) before it's over. I was grocery shopping yesterday and I noticed that there were no chicken breasts (that they had on sale this week). I've never encountered that before. I wondered if it was due to some scarcity because of the virus. I didn't ask, but now I kind of wish I had.

Tracy said...

Amen! Jesus and His love and light are sooo needed right now! Beatuifully expressed, Elizabeth... It feels like wild times in the world, for so many reasons. Jesus is our anchor. :) we started Lent this week... Lent already, the days do feel to be gojng VERY fast! Wishing you & yours a blessed Lent, my friend! ((HUGS))

Granny Marigold said...

We have quite a large population of Chinese in our city and I don't know if people are avoided THEM but they certainly are avoiding the Chinese restaurants. One has already had to close due to no customers. We are always aware of the need to wash our hands very well when we've been shopping or even to the library. That's what we're continuing to do and having faith that we'll avoid sickness.

Mat. Anna said...

I haven’t been able to muster up much fear of this virus. I think the biggest risk right now is stores running out of things due to panic buying, the way they do as soon as a hurricane is in the Gulf. I’m always mindful of illness prevention as it is and I’m not taking any extra precautions. Masks (unless they’re special ones, like the one I used in the hospital to take care of TB patients) are only good for keeping your germs off of others, not the other way around. I don’t know, I’ve even worried about my lack of worry. God’s will be done.