Thursday, February 20, 2020

A Simple Goal Accomplished




I finally made the lamb rolls.
They wrapped up tight now and are in the freezer.
I found that the olive oil spray worked great and 
nothing tore in a way that was unable. 
I found that with the olive oil between the layers, if something tore,
the olive oil acted like a liquid glue and there was no problem.
The one thing about the recipe is that it called for 1 lb lamb
and I found that there was more meat than the I had phyllo dough,
according to their instructions of using only half a box.  
I had already carefully re-wrapped and put back in the freezer the 
other half so I simply have some ground lamb to be eaten as is
in the refrigerator now! 
***
I had one mishap in timing...I had a 1 PM meeting and I was so careful to 
remember to take the dough out the day before...and...did not realize in
my focus on the dough that I forgot to thaw the lamb meat.
So that meant that instead of doing the meat before my meeting,
it all waited until afterwards...
which meant I did not get done with this until quite late in the 
afternoon, so I did not get a walk, which I hope to rectify tomorrow...
I must say that the overnight thaw of the dough in the fridge plus having it out
on the counter for some hours, made the dough fully thawed, very pliable and soft.
Yes, easy to rip but with the oil, really not a problem.
I was pleased at how fun it was to work with!
***
I ended up watching a rather charming movie, while the plot was changed a lot
I actually liked it quite a lot...Mrs Pollifax, such a lovely idea in her!
***
I am still processing the harder things of the week
and finding that prayer and the Psalms helps the most.
***
I don't know how many times my Husband and I have discussed
things in our world that appear to be only either
a train wreck, as it were, about to happen 
or one already in process of happening.
Sometimes we forget ourselves and the power of God to redeem,
I think.  But we must not forget....
***
Like I am reading past horrors that the later Mother Alexandra lived through,
right now Romania is free to worship and has many churches.
Russia too, and Albania after such wreckage also has churches again.
***
God's time in and outside of this world is not our time
but He can make everything beautiful in His time...

3 comments:

Granny Marigold said...

I've been a fan of Mrs Pollifax for years, in fact I am now rereading my Dorothy Gilman books probably for the last time. I will definitely watch the movie though.
I've worked with Phyllo/fillo dough but used melted butter. Interesting that the oil acts as a sort of glue. I must remember that,

GretchenJoanna said...

Are you putting the lamb rolls in the freezer to enjoy at Pascha? You are so good at planning ahead.

elizabeth said...

Granny Marigold: hard to imagine knowing you are reading a series for the last time!
G-J: thanks! we are having some of them tomorrow, had a few today and the rest will wait until Pascha! :)