I was recently asked what were 10 books that stayed with me... I ended up listing some as categories of books, so it is more than 10 books!
What books have stayed with you over the years, or new ones that are lighting things up in new ways? Would love to hear!
Here's my list:
- The Scent of Water by Elizabeth Goudge
- The Dean's Watch by Elizabeth Goudge
- Courage to Pray by Met. Anthony Bloom
- The Circle of Quiet by Madeleine L'Engle and L'Engle's Other Side of the Sun
- The Time trilogy by Madeleine L'Engle (Wrinkle in Time, Swiftly Tilting Planets, A Wind in the Door)
- CS Lewis' 7 Chronicles of Narnia
- Kathleen Norris' The Cloister Walk and Amazing Grace: a Vocabulary of Faith
- Many Orthodox books - The Orthodox Way, Adian's Song, Letters to St Lydia, books by Fr. Roman Braga, Saint Stories, esp. St. Nectarios, St. Spyridon, St. Abbot Moses of Optina, St. Porphyrios , St. Paisos, Elder Sophrony, the more travelogue Orthodox books like The Mysteries of the Jesus Prayer and Short Trip to the Edge by Scott Cairns
- The (various) Orthodox Psalters - the Psalms of St. David are so rich
- Books that I read slowly, like The Art of Prayer, Ladder of Divine Ascent, and the recently read essay by Donald Sheehan on St. Issac the Syrian and St. Ephraim the Syrian in his book of Essays, Grace of Incorruption